How do I transfer my pre-installed Windows 7 OS to a new hard drive?

I am trying to install a new SSD in my laptop but I'm afraid I won't be able to transfer my OS to it without the disc. Is it as simple as putting everything on some DVDs or an eternal hard drive or is it more complicated? I am pretty new to this so being specific and explaining things would be helpful. Thanks.

Best Answer

Make a small partition on your existing drive using the windows disk management and make an image of your entire drive there or even better to an external hard drive.After you finish the wizard will ask you if you want to make a bootable DVD ton start the computer with the new drive and recover the image.

You would get some imaging software like Norton (Symantec) Ghost, and run it on your system to copy the existing drive to the SSD. Also, you would mark the partition on the new drive as active, so you could boot from it. It's straightforward, IF you have the utility.

After trying your system with the SSD only to make sure it will boot, you can either keep the old disk drive as an archive and backup (might come in handy, if you ever have to re-image because of a virus), or reformat it and put it back in your system.

EDIT: maybe Win 7 has this functionality built-in, listen to Fola

You need the installer.

you don't have it so you can't do it.

.