Chase
Chase asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

Any good recipes for ducks?

So i got 3 wood ducks and a teal and a mallard. I plucked them all good and gutted them so there whole and look perfect.(just like a chicken from the store) I was going to bake them tonight for dinner, but any other ideas?

@jake i did a google search and they mosly involve all these complicated marinades and oranges and lemons and tangerines and it dont sound tasty

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

A lot of people complain about the 'wild' taste. It doesn't bother me but... A trick is to soak them in cold water to get the blood out of them. This cuts way down on the gamey taste. Keep the water cold with ice, change it about every hour, hour and a half soak for about 3-4 hours. You can add some salt to the water on the last soak. Take 'em out of the water and pat dry. Get your favorite season-all mix, sprinkle all over the outside, rub it in and add a good bit to the cavity. Peel a large onion and garlic and stuff in the cavity. Put in a covered roasting pan, an aluminum pan with foil will work. Add a cup of water and a pack of dry onion soup mix to the pan. Cook low and slow 300F max. Check you meat temp from time to time. When you hit 160-165F, turn oven to 350F uncover the duck and finish it off for about 30 minutes to brown. You can also brush on some Kitchen Bouquet on the outside to help with the browning. Take the drippings in the pan and make you gravy. Good luck.

Edit: Down here we slow cook 'em in a crock pot (same seasoning) peel the meat off and make a duck and sausage gumbo. Oh Yeah!

• Jake

I recommend just doing a Google search and finding something that sounds good to you.

There are tons of recipes out there.

Edit: Have you considered Roasting it? That is how a lot of people like it, and there is room for some creative additions to the dish.

• Andrew

I really wish I could give my neighbors recipe he won't tell it's like taking a bite of heavean he makes them not even have that tough chewy taste. Also Chinese duck taste good

butterfly the duck breast put cream cheese and some kind of hot pepper in the middle then throw it on the bbq trust me i have tasted ducks this way befor f*** they are good