Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 8 years ago

Kobo, Nook, or Kindle?

I have a KOBO e-reader (not the touch screen) now. I like its display. But what I don't like is its compatibility and also sometimes, the scrolling pad isn't sensitive, which gets maddening when looking up a word in the dictionary. Because it is just too slow.

In addition, I am using Mac and I prefer purely e-reading devices.

Which e-reader is better? Thank you.

Update:

Does Kindle supports docx, pdf, etc? What abou Nook?

What about Kindle DX and Kindle 3? Are there any new releases for Kindle coming out?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Rose D
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

I prefer the Kindle. However, you might want to go to some stores and actually hold and play with both the Nook and the Kindle to decide for yourself which you prefer. Also, check both B&N and Amazon for titles that interest you and see which has more books that appeal to you in electronic format.

• Ken
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Short answer: E Ink ereaders Kindle 3 , Nook Touch, and Kobo Touch are very close and provide the best long-run reading experience. LCD-based ereaders and tablets such as the Nook Color provide the best app, game, video, and web browsing experience.

Long answer...

Kindle 3 ($119 to $189):

Pros:

+ E Ink display is great for long-run reading -- like reading from a book.

+ E Ink Pearl display provides 50% better contrast than E Ink Vizplex found in regular Nook.

+ 4G internal memory

Cons:

- web browsing, apps, and games are much worse than with a Nook Color.

- no SD expansion

Nook Touch ($139): Same pros and cons as Kindle, plus:

Pros:

+ touch screen

+ SD expansion

Cons:

- no 3G

- 2G internal memory

Kobo Touch ($129): Same pros and cons as Nook Touch, plus:

Pros:

+ international bookstore

Cons:

- only 1G internal memory

- Partnership with out-of-business Borders

Nook Color ($250):

Pros:

+ better web browsing, apps, and games

Cons:

- long-run reading experience is poor compared to E Ink readers -- like reading from a computer monitor

Source(s): "Which is the best ereader?" http://www.howtodecide.com/ereader/
  • 8 years ago

Maybe Kindle. You need to really choose the store first.

• 3 years ago

Reading a good e book provides a richer experience and can leave you with remembrances that can last years. Television is only educational if you're seeing a documentary or something similar

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I have loved to learn always. But I'd be lying easily said I didn't also enjoy TV. During the day this is a e book usually.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Hi, Katherine, choosing an eReader it is very important to compare books stores behind the device. Sony has no real book store behind its devices and have less than 60K books in it. Barnes & Noble has more than 2 million books available in its eBook store besides the millions of free public books. Sony devices are also way overpriced for what they do. E-Ink Nook Simpletouch has the latest generation touch screen display, no page turn lag, it weights less, its battery lasts twice as long (two months on one charge), and it doesn't blink on each page turn - much better than current Kindle 3. If you walk in with the Nook to Barnes & Noble store, you’re allowed to read any available eBook for free while in the store via free provided in the store Wi-Fi. With Nook, while in BN store you get exclusive articles from top authors, and great offers including cafe treats and unique deals. Nook allows for lending Nook books for two weeks to friends and family or share with your other devices that run B&N app (PC, MAC, Android phones, Apple iPhone, iPod and iPad, etc.) While Nook Color has LCD touchscreen, it's a new generation screen which is anti-glare coated and thus it better performs in sunlight producing less glare while reading on iPad in painful. The screen is amazing and readable/viewable at wide angles. Overall, Nook Color is more than e-Reader as you can also watch video and use Android applications on it. It's a hybrid device, much more than just an e-Reader but not a full tablet as it doesn't have a camera. If all you want is to read novels, the e-Ink Nook might be better for you. If you want something more from your device (color graphs and charts of books, childrens books, photos and videos, web sites in full color) at half of the price of iPad or Galaxy tab, then Nook Color is your best bet.

Nook Color has several apps that already come with the device (Pandora Internet radio, QuickOffice, etc.) and hundreds of other apps are available for download. Also, you can use the Social Settings screen to link your NOOK Color to your Facebook account and your Twitter account. You can also import all your contacts from your Google Gmail account. Once you have linked to Facebook and Twitter and set up email contacts, you can lend and borrow books, recommend books, and share favorite quotes with your friends.

Kindle only supports eBooks in its proprietary AZW format. Nook, on the other hand, supports both DRM-protected and DRM-free ebooks in ePub format thus it supports ebooks from B&N store, from any other DRM-free source on the web, and from public libraries. Nook store has over 2 million of paid books and about the same number of free public domain books. You can buy Nook’s at Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Millon, Walmart, BestBuy, Staples, OfficeMax, Fred Mayer, P.C. Richard etc. stores and web sites.

e-Ink Nook Simpletouch supports:

ePub (including Non or Adobe DRM), PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP formats.

Nook Color supports:

EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)

PDF

Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX

Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP

Audio: MP3, MP4, AAC

Video: MP4

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

At school everyone has a kindle. They are really good i recomend it. It is really nice. :)

Source(s): Me and 27 other people @ school
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

kindle

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

kindle. amazon really knows what they're doing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.