What should I wear to an Opera performance that is hosted by a University?

I am going to an opera performance of The Marriage of Figaro hosted by CU Boulder. It is a requirement for a course that I am taking. I am not sure what to wear though. I know that generally opera is quite fancy but I am not sure if the same standards apply to a college production. I don't mind being over dressed as I was thinking of wearing a black dress (classic) but I do NOT want to be under dressed! Any advice is welcome! Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

Semi formal is your best bet. The little black dress with pearls and heels works, and most gals own this. A dressy dress or gown works. Slacks and pantsuits are a big N O.

I hope it's a great evening for you.

xx

Source(s): The Captain's College of Musical Knowledge.
  • ?

A university opera production isn't quite as formal as a professional show, so you don't need to dress up to the same level. Still, casual is too casual. Perhaps dress like you would for church. Dressy, but not overly formal.

• Joe B

Sunshine go with a black dress, pumps, and off black or smooth black pantyhose. Do a Smokey eye in light blue, with a touch of blush, and a rose lip. You will be gorgeous.