Why do you think Christian divorce statistics are not a lot lower than non-Christians?

What do you see as some of the reasons that Christian marriages also end

in divorce?

Is it the 'times' we live in?

Or is it the high pressure people now live under?

Why do you think Christian divorce statistics are not a lot lower than

non-Christian statistics?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Carl
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The vast majority of Christians live their lives no differently than non-christians.

I worked for a company a couple of years ago where the manager was a Christian, lots of religious artifacts dotted around his office, yet his witness was no different from an unsaved man. I was speaking to another engineer who mentioned that the manager was a Christian and then added "But not a very good one."

What a damning statement for a person to make of a Christian.

Very few Christians live Spirit controlled lives, they run from one new experience to the next, showing no evidence of being rooted and grounded in love.

Christians today have no concept of dying to self, picking up their cross daily or sharing each others burdens. They appear to have never come across "All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." Although that in itself should not surprise any, as very few actually read the Scriptures anymore, never mind study them.

Psa 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Psa 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Christians seek for ways to justify divorce rather than seeking reasons to reconcile.

Why is there no difference in divorce statistics between Christians and non-christians?

Because there is no difference between Christians and non-christians.

Source(s): Christian who walks in fellowship with Christ, married for 28 years to a Christian who also walks in fellowship with Christ.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

As far as the statistics I've seen, the divorce rate for christians and non-christians are virtually identical. People "grow apart" for a lot of reasons. We live in a very mobile and individualistic society and the partners in a marriage may well follow different paths even within the marriage. Then you have spousal abuse (highest in the "bible belt" states), adultery, lotta factors. And the fact that christians do ignore the verses in the bible where Jesus talks about divorce, they just go their own way.

Blessings on your Journey!

• 9 years ago

Is anyone even Christian anymore? What does that even mean? Anyone can preach to the "damned" from their righteous horse and, at the same time, not have a grain of evidence to support their pseudo-scientific claims to morality (whether from the bible or elsewhere). A lot of the time, even atheists and agnostics have much more knowledge about the bible than people who claim to be religious. Being "Christian" hardly means anything anymore. When the very people that are part of the group in question don't really know what they believe in, what is the religion worth?

Anyway, Christians get divorced just like any other group of people because being "Christian," to most of them, is nothing more than a superficial label that has been passed down the evermore dim-witted family tree.

• 4 years ago

A reality of modern relationships is the knowledge that divorce statistics have been steadily escalating in recent years. Tips for avoiding divorce https://tr.im/1hjSr

Even now, all marriages have between a 40 and 50 percent chance of divorce, which increases for second and third marriages, which is why it's more important than ever to have the necessary skills to ensure your relationship is secure against the threat of divorce.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I believe that many people state their self as Christians but they live a normal secular life, some even just to follow the trend of being identified as Christians. I think the true Christian who really follow, love and obey Christ may be a mere small percentage. That is the reason statistic can sometime be distorted by the data inaccuracy.

Shalom,

• 9 years ago

I think "Christian Divorce" exists, because there are people who call themselves Christians who are not and don't even know what it really means to be one. Just as we are taught to count the costs before accepting Christ, we also must do that for marriage. That is we should never walk into marriage blindly and just as our covenant with Christ is unto death, so is marriage. Jesus only gives us one out for marriage, and that is because our spouse is a covenant breaker (a sinner on multiple levels and puts their lives in grave danger by committing adultery.)

• "Why do you think Christian divorce statistics are not a lot lower than non-Christians?"

Well, the logical conclusion that can be drawn from the independence of marriage & divorce statistics relative to religious affiliation is that marriage & divorce are equally important to people regardless of their religious affiliation - i.e. that marriage is ultimately a secular venture with an optional flavour of religion to individual taste. This is further supported by the existence of marriage across many unrelated religious and non-religious frameworks and the long archaeological history of marriage and associated rituals dating further back than any extant religion.

• 9 years ago

Because they lie to themselves too much in order to obey all that the bible preaches. In their minds, they truly yearn for some super-hot sex. Some people don't even masturbate, let alone 'fornicate'. This makes them so anxious that their genitals start messing with their brains/common sense and they thus get married. After marriage and some sex, they realize that it wasn't as awesome as they imagined it to be, not worth all the nagging of the spouse(husband/wife) and therefore either try and move on directly by divorce, or cheat on their partner and then divorce.

The end.

@awaken.dawn: You got it wrong. The very first institution is family.

@Eclectic Heretic: Ah, I see your point. Christians should maintain their marriages for life, after marriage, even if it means unhappy lives for both the partners and the only thing keeping them from divorce being religion. Good. Just in case, if Poe's law applies, " ;D ".

Source(s): Atheist.
  • It would depend on the flavour of Christian we're dealing with. As many Christians think that it's a bad idea to have sex before marriage they will rush into marriage at a young age while they are still forming as a person. This is not a good recipe for a stable marriage.

• 9 years ago

I am not a Christian but I know that a Christian who divorces is not a true Christian according to the Bible. In the Bible, it is considered adultery if you get a divorce and have sexual intercourse with another person. It is one of the reasons why the Catholic Church banned divorce for a long time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.