Questions about which degrees to get..?

OK, so as a basis, I want to be an environmental engineer. But I also want to go to college for 6 years and get my master's and bs, since this will probably open more windows in the future. The question is: what do I major in besides environmental engineering? Also, is it better to get a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Environmental Engineering?

I'm torn between studying business and studying chemical engineering.

If I study business, that would enable me to look good for employers and maybe even open up my own firm in the future.

However, if I study chemical engineering, it would really compliment the environmental engineering because I'd be able to understand the nature of a project from both sides and I'd basically be the overseer of the project, or so I believe.

What do you think?

I just did a quick monster search and found hundreds of entry level jobs in environmental engineering...

@divot II, that's a good idea, but why not just environmental engineering? i don't want my specialty to be chemical engineering, i just think it would work well with ee because they're so closely related.

Favorite Answer

Here's an idea: undergrad major chem e, grad school dual-degree program in law (taking extra environmental law courses) and MBA.

Add'l: I've always admired people who really know physics, chemistry, and materials science. Environmental Engineering seems like a bit o' law, a bit o' engineering, and a bit o' science. After I say fluidized charcoal recovery unit, mercaptan, flame ionization mass spectrometry, quadrupole residual gas analysis, fugitive emission, parts per million, and quarterly environmental reports, is there really anything left to say about environmental engineering? Up to you, of course.

I'd do a job search and see if any jobs actually mention environmental engineering before choosing that as a career.

Kind of pointless to get a degree in something that has no present, or future.