Jared asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Existentialists emphasize responsibility. So, in what hierarchy does 'choice' reside?

We are free, thus responsible for our choices. Existentialism explains that we are responsible, but I've not seen anything about the context of this responsibility. What does it mean to make a 'good' choice? I really want to understand how this fits into existentialist ethics, if such a thing is well defined, since value itself is subjective.

Any resources/opinions/thoughts/historical references are welcomed.

• Favorite Answer

I do not know exactly - What does it mean to make a 'good' choice? – but with my limited understanding of Existentialism I would say you are happy with your decision or choice whether it becomes a good decision or a bad decision in the long run because it is the moment that makes us happy not what might happen.

I was told by my French teacher in high school during translating of “No Exit” from French to English of how an existentialist like Jean-Paul Sartre would explain hell or I said purgatory.

“No Exit is a 1944 existentialist French play by Jean-Paul Sartre.”

“Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment in which, it is believed, the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven.”

He pointed out that “hell”, according to existentialists, was like you were forced to push a giant round boulder up a hill with an incline of 30 degrees. When you get to the top of the hill, if you can push the boulder over the top to where it drops to the ground; the devil will release your soul to go to heaven.

The story of “No Exit” is about “hell” is fixed. There is no way out once your soul is in “hell” because when you get to the top of the hill, the devil will intentionally trip you so the boulder will roll back down to the bottom and you have to try to push it up again to go to heaven.

I pointed out; after several times why would I keep pushing the boulder up the hill.

He said; you have to. You are in “hell”. How will your soul go to heaven if you do not?

I said; I would not continue to do something I believed was fixed, therefore, there is no “hell”. What was the devil going to do, to make me; kill me again?

Man created the belief in “hell” and the Holy Bible referred to it as places of tangible human suffering including mental anguish, but not a tangible domain.

We should choose between the consequences not the choices. Then we would always make the best choice. To choose takes but one split second. We can change that choice in another split second and change and choose again in another split second. However consequences last much longer, sometimes for the rest of our lives. So when confronted with making a choice, don't look at the CHOICES in front of us, but instead the CONSEQUENCES in front of us. Surely choice is a valuable commodity for anyone then.

You don't get ought a lot... Do you?

Here's a bit of advice with no more value than a grain of salt.

Don't count on getting laid a lot with that question...

• Jesere

are you stoned?