Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 9 years ago

How do you pronounce Samhain correctly?

Is it a word that has only ONE pronunciation like 'fork' or one that has more than one like 'caramel'?

Favorite Answer

A friend of mine who speaks Gaelic said this about the pronunciation of Samhain. Apparently saying it like "sam-hayn," "sow-wen" or "sow-een" is completely and utterly wrong, and it gives him the willies to hear it.

According to my friend (who has studied the matter intensely) Samhain should be pronounced as shavnah (if you’re male) or havnah (if you’re female). However, he says that most gaelic-speaking people, male or female, simply pronounce it shavnah nowadays.

He went on to blame Gerald Gardiner for this, claiming that he mispronounced it and his worshipful followers (these are his words, not mine - please don't hurt me) were afraid to correct him and so it's remained sow-wen ever since.

I promised to pass on the correct information, so remember, it's shavnah.

Have a Happy Samhain, however you want to pronounce it.

• amanda6 years agoReport

Actually, In my Gaelic studies, I've found that Scottish Gaelic pronounces it sav-ahn, Irish Gaelic pronounces it sow-en/sow-in, and Welsh Gaelic pronounces it sow-een. Gaelic has a lot of different dialects. Your friend seems to be under the mistaken impression that his dialect is the only dialect.

Pronounce Samhain

Samhain Pronunciation

Properly it is pronounced Sa win.

Samhain is a Sabot that happens on October 31 every year.

I speak Irish, have done since I was tiny, and (in Munster Gaelic anyway) it's definitely pronounced sow-en, hearing people pronounce it sam-hayn makes me want to cry

I've never ever heard anyone pronounce it shavnah, but there are so many different forms of Gaelic, and depending on which Irish-speaking part of the country you're in, pronunciation can vary dramatically

But yeah, it's sow-en :)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do you pronounce Samhain correctly?

Source(s): pronounce samhain correctly: https://tr.im/y35JB
  • Markk

Its an Irish Gaelic word and depending on where in Ireland it can be pronounced as sow an, soow an, or sow en

SAV-ahn. Although MANY people promote the mispronunciation SOW-in.

The moronic producers of the Friday the 13th movies totally mispronounced it as Sam Hayn and that is SOOOO wrong as it is actually a Celtic word and "mh" together forma "V" sound.

• ?3 years agoReport

"SAV-ahn" is right for certain parts of Ireland. "SOW-ahn"/"SOW-in" is perfectly correct for others. Irish people love a good argument, and arguments over the pronuncation of Gaeilge are huge, controversial, amusing, eternal and passionate. Every learner of Gaeilge realises this quite early on.

I would dearly love to know how you get Sa-win, when mh in Gaelic is a V sound? I have always heard it pronounced Sa-vin

"mh" in gaelic is pronounced "v" since there is no official V in the gael alphabet. To an Anglo-English brain it reads "Samain," but this is wrong. It's Sav-ahn.