What is the difference between a naturalist and a wildlife biologist?

In my future, I would like to study and observe animals. I would like to know what the difference is between these two careers to see which one suits me.

Favorite Answer

'Naturalist' has become an informal term for anybody dabbling in, or studying, just about anything that could be included in biology. 150 years ago, it would've included geology as well. Charles Darwin called himself a naturalist, and meant it as meaning a geologist-zoologist-botanist (but less of a botanist than the other two). Now, a naturalist could refer to someone dabbling as an amateur or getting paid by somebody or other.

A wildlife biologist would be studying anything biological in its wild setting. That could be animals, plants or other organisms or, indeed, all of them.

In the English language, 'biologist' pretty much replaced 'naturalist' in a serious or professional sense by about the 1870s. The word was new to the language, and spread fairly quickly.

zoologist studies widlife in a contained environment