Lilian
Lilian asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Do any of you know why the slaughter houses have been closed?

I talked with a fellow who buys and sells horses the other day, he will buy old or crippled horses to take to the meat auction and he said the SH's have been closed he did not what the reason was or when they might open.

He did say there people he knows that have feed lots with 4 and 5 hundred horses in them and they have no where to go. So I guess there are going to be a even a bigger dip in the lower end horse prices.

• gallop
    Favorite Answer

Here it is again. What country are you in? To my knowledge there is no closure of slaughterhouses in any of the countries that have been allowing it within the past 5 years. The Cavel plant was the last to close in the US almost 5 years ago. How can a man who buys horses to take to slaughter not know that the plants were closed years ago? What feed lots are you referencing, and where are they located? Horses are shipped to Canada and Mexico from the US every day. Your question makes no sense. Please add details to clarify what you are talking about.

Add.........................................

I suggest reading the information I'm posting in the following link for you. This is an unbiased and well conducted study on the actual evidence regarding the entire issue of US slaughter of horses spanning the years from 1989 through 2007. The US began exporting horses to Canadian and Mexican slaughterhouses and to Japan in 1999, eight years before the last US slaughterhouse (the Cavel plant) was closed.

*******************************************************************

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/horse-slaughter/...

**************************************************************************************

This is an exerpt of the conclusions drawn from the study in the link posted.................

"Despite the difficulties posed by the data limitations discussed, several conclusions about slaughter and abuse and neglect trends can be stated with confidence:

1. While the supply of low priced horses is essential to the slaughter industry, it does not determine the number that will be slaughtered. That number is set by the demand for horse meat in Europe. Slaughter therefore is useless as a tool for controlling the unwanted horse population and instead simply creates a low end market that competes with potential buyers of low end horses and encourages a continuous supply.

2. The rate of slaughter of US horses was only temporarily affected by the closings of the US based slaughter plants in 2007, and the slaughter rate has since returned to its previous levels. There was therefore no mechanism by which these closings could have impacted abuse and neglect.

3. There was clearly no epidemic of abuse and neglect in 2007 following the closings of the US based horse slaughter plants. None was predicted by the unemployment numbers and none was found in the database of cases. In other words, on the question of whether the closings were the cause of a pronounced increase in abuse we find that neither the cause nor the effect actually happened.

4. While US slaughter rates are clearly driven by the demand for horse meat in Europe, it appears the industry operates in a relatively narrow window of supply price. If we are to accept that horses sent to slaughter are "unwanted" then we can define an unwanted horse not as one with zero value but one whose value is greater to the slaughter industry than to a potential owner and that average value is probably under $500.

5. Abuse and neglect is largely determined by economic conditions. An upturn in unemployment seen in late 2007 appears to have translated into the beginning of an upturn in abuse and neglect in early 2008. As of the end of the study period, abuse and neglect did not appear to have exceeded norms for the baseline year of 2006, but to the extent that the economic conditions continue to deteriorate, this trend may become more worrisome in the months to come. "

Source(s): RN and 58 years with horses

Because our government decided it was best to close the slaughterhouses. So, if a horse goes to slaughter, they have to be slipped over the line either into Canada or into Mexico.

This is the hard part! Because slaughter is so cruel (from what I've heard), it was closed down (looks good, right? were not heartlessly throwing away horses....well, that's only the good news and the good news isn't the only news). But now, it leaves thousands of unwanted, crippled, or wild-because-never-cared-for domestic horses with no place to go. Of course, some of the horses that went to slauhter before were young, healthy, and trained (some even registered!). And to top it off, Americans budgets are getting tighter (some small "farms" keep breeding their horses anyway - they think there is a market even though alot of the horses in my area are free to good home) and it's hard to maintain what horses we do have. You'll hear some people saying: if we just take one more horse in each, then it will disolve the problem. Unfortunately, we can't all do that! Most of us can barely afford our usually-healthy horses now.

The solution is to simply to cut breeding production by half or so (whatever a little less than the current demand is) and then the surplus will decrease as it fills the left over demand (speaking in economic terminology).

This was more than your question asked, but now you know.

Best Wishes.

It's probably because so many people think of it as cruelty. And it is. The conditions in there are horrible. And the horses are under so much stress, and they know that it is a bad place. Slaughter houses are truly a living He11.

So I personally think it's good that they are closing. But where do all the slaughter house horses come from in the first place. Two places, mostly.

1) Thoroughbreds- Thoroughbred Breeders breed thousands of foals each year, hoping that 1 of them will turn out to be a good racer. But what about the 10,000 other ones that aren't good racers? Slaughterhouse. They're troubles "Disappear". If they would stop breeding so many horses, there wouldn't be so many slaughterhouses!!!

2) Backyard Breeding- You get a mare. "Oh, she's so sweet! I would LOVE another horse, but I don't have the money to buy one!! I'll just breed her!" Then you know nothing about horses, much less breeding, so you breed her to someone's really horrible stallion, you get a horrible foal with a bad temperament and mad conformation, but you think it's so cute, that before you know it, you've bred 10 horrible foals. No one wants to buy them. So you take them to the auction. And they get sent to the slaughterhouse. And if 100 people do that, 1000 horses just got sent to the slaughterhouse, because of someone's ignorance. Now, there are two different types of backyard breeding. The irresponsible type that I just described, where an unknowledgable person breeds a bunch of really bad foals. Then there is the better type. Where someone has a good mare, and they breed once to a good stallion, and they have a good foal, then they can actually sell it, or train it well, because they actually did research. That types not so bad. But another way horses get sent to the auction is if you buy a horse, and it's pregnant, and you don't want to deal with a foal. So you sell it as soon as it's weaned. It's cruel, and it's not right. But it happens.Ok. I think I got some rant out there! Thanks!!

Note: PETA has had a lot to do with it. Here's a link to a website. It's sad, but interesting. Maybe if you or anyone you know follows PETA, this will stop them. Just look through the whole website. It's horrible.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Will combating the slaughter artwork for the horses? it fairly is a annoying question to respond to. Already, horses that would desire to in any different case have long gone to slaughter are merely being abandoned to fend for themselves. i think of the wish is that with the aid of the years the region will the superb option itself and that over successive generations there will be some distance much less equine suffering. interior the quick term nevertheless some horses will go through. no longer stable, yet probable the superb average situation.

i cant stand people complaining about the "bad" horse market. If you have a good trained horse it will still sell. The crappy ones that don't have an occupation are the ones that don't sell. I sell barrel horses and make a great profit in today's market. You have to have well bred, good looking horses that know there job and do it with out problems.

I believe the reason they did it was because it was quite cruel and stressful for all the animals that were not drugged.

I'm in no way for slaughter houses reopening. What I am in for is to people to stop backyard breeding. Everybody screams, "Oh! They're killing the poor little ponies! Stop the, stop them, stop them!" When those people themselves have probably bred about a dozen no-good, bad-conformed, ugly, bad-tempered horses. They are the reason horse prices are what they are, not because the slaughter house closed.

People who backyard breed have no right to be saying what should happen to these horses, because THEY'RE the reason that so many of them were going to slaughter in the first place.

Besides, sometimes even the stress a slaughter house puts on an animal is better than them slowly starving to death, which is happening a lot more often.

Ummm... Horse slaughter houses have been closed because of people protesting them, and THANK THE LORD. Only in the US though. There are I think three left. I would be heartbroken to find out that the horse I sold to somebody was killed for money. I praise the fact that they have been closed.

Why do you think they've been closed?

Bloody PETA and their stupid, melodramatic vegan and vegetarian followers.

I have nothing against vegetarians, but I have everything against PETA - take the worst examples and blow them out of proportion. It's not all bad.

Horse slaughter is monstrous. The US horses get shipped to slaughter in Canada and Mexico. Horses need to stop being seen as disposable.

They were closed because of stupid, ignorant people.

"Poor ponieee don't deserve too dye!!11?!!"

Would you rather it starve to death?

Source(s): Pro-slaughter. PETA hater.