What happens if you call 911 on Halloween?

Do they think it's just a prank or do they actually check it out? No, I'm not thinking of prank calling 911 on Halloween, I'm watching one of the Michael Meyers movies and it got me wondering.

Favorite Answer

I'm certain that policemen are required to check our every call that is receive. Though, i am also sure they receive a lot of prank calls, especially around Halloween. They simply cant assume its a prank and leave someone bleeding to death or whatever the case may be.

Police will go to that location and check things out. They will be annoyed if it is a prank. They would prefer to be doing very slow and unhurried patrol with minor traffic enforcement for the safety of Trick or Treaters. But they would need to step it up in case the call is for a real need. Why make them hurry while children are on the streets at dark if there is no need?

Think of it this way, would you ignore calls on Halloween if you were responsible for the welfare of people?

Source(s): Degree in Criminal Justice, over a quarter century of working in the field and member of IACP.

It's their job,of course they will take all incoming 911-calls seriously.If they don't answer a 911 call and it turns out to be something major,they are looking at huge fines and lawsuits.

My guess would be that they would check it out. Police will take every thing serious (atleast thats what they say) even if it may sound like a Halloween Prank they will want to do their best to keep all the people safe.

I called 911 when I was on the road to Bakersfield and found a body wrapped in a sleeping bag burning in the middle of the road and they put me on hold and asked a million questions. So, unless you report an emergency nothing will happen. 911 is not as sensitive as people think.

You could get arrested if you give false information. I most place there are laws for abusing the 911 system.

Prank!

Source(s): 911 emergency services
  • Neil

They will ask what is your emergency and respond based on your answer. Real emergencies don't stop because it's Halloween (and bogus calls come in any day as well.)

They will track you down by the phone number, they can look online to see where you live.

They will take it seriusly! Bcuz it's their job