Ontario Paramedic Job Demand?

I'm a student, one year out of high school and looking to get into the paramedic field (obviously college first). The only thing I worry about is the demand for paramedics in Ontario in the next couple years. Is it set to increase, or is it fairly high right now already? If there is any paramedics, or anyone with information on this, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it with me. Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

The most competition you will see is for seats in the programme. In the colleges in Toronto, there can be 1000 applicants for 50 seats. Competition is usually lower outside of Toronto, but still very competitive. Some other things to consider are that most successful applicants already have a university degree. When I went to college 3 years ago, around 80% of us had a science degree. Another thing to consider is that the attrition rate in the programme is quite high (around 50%) due to the workload and academic standards. If you complete the programme with decent marks and pass the provincial exam, you have a pretty good chance of getting a job. It's worth noting that only Toronto hires full time initially, every other service hires part time (though with overtime and a good pay scale, it is entirely possible to make a living working part time) If you are unable to get a job in Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are provinces which provide good pay as well, as a last resort you can consider an industrial paramedic job in Alberta.

Hiring will most likely be slightly elevated for the next 10 years or so, but certainly not as high as in 2001. And your first job will be part time, probably for around 2-3 years. If you are unable to get a job in Ontario as a PCP, you can always take a job in another province, study part time for ACP, and once you certify work for just about any service in the province (except for Toronto, because they only hire at the PCP level)

• 3 years ago

Source(s): #1 Highest Paying Surveys : http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?Uytu
  • 3 years ago

Fill Surveys Get Money - http://OnlineSurveys.uzaev.com/?FepB

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.