Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Book suggestions for a 17-year-old girl?

I'm not really into the whole romance book thing. It's okay if there's some romance in the background, but I don't really want it to be the main theme of the book. I prefer books set in the present day (no earlier than the nineties). I do like fantasy books (HARRY POTTER<3) but I'm in the mood for something more realistic these days. Suggestions?! Also please include a breif summary about what it's about.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott:

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects-the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That''s exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won''t know what''s happening until it''s too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.

2. Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale:

Bobby Pendragon was a seemingly normal fourteen-year-old boy. He had a family, a home, and even Marley, his beloved dog. Then one day his uncle Press showed up telling Bobby that some people needed his help, and nothing has been the same since.

Now Bobby knows that he is a Traveler, and it''s up to him to save the world. And not just Earth as we know it. All of Halla -- every time and place that has ever existed -- is being threatened by an evil enemy named Saint Dane, and Bobby must travel from one territory to another to stop Saint Dane's terrifying plans.

3. A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket:

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent children.They are charming, and resourceful. Unfortunately, they are exceptionally unlucky. In the first two books alone, the three youngsters encounter agreedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, aplot to steal their fortune, a lumpy bed, a deadly serpent, a largebrass reading lamp, a long knife, and a terrible odour.

4. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher:

Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells, but also metal forests, dilapidated cities, and vast wilderness. Finn, a 17-year-old prisoner, has no memory of his childhood and is sure that he came from Outside Incarceron. And then Finn finds a crystal key that allows him to communicate with a girl who claims to live on the Outside.

5. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

6. Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Meggie lives a quiet life alone with her father, a book-binder. But her father has a deep secret-- he posseses an extraordinary magical power. One day a mysterious stranger arrives who seems linked to her father''s past. Who is this sinister character and what does he want? Suddenly Meggie is involved in a breathless game of escape and intrigue as her father''s life is put in danger. Will she be able to save him in time?

7. Beautiful creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (also read this one in french... it was AWESOME!!!) (told from the point of view of a guy):

There were no surprises in Gatlin County. At least, that's what I thought. Turns out, I couldn''t have been more wrong. There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave. Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations.

8. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:

24 teenagers fight to the death and only one survives...

9. 13 reasons why by Jay De Asher:

A girl suicides and sends 13 cassets with the 13 reasons (people and what they did) that caused her to make her decision.

10. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

This book is most probably the best thing since Harry Potter, as most would say... Hope you start by reading this one, very cute, funny and entertaining... *it is nothing like the movie...*

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare

Incarceron and Sapphique by Catherine Fisher

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy

Die For You by Lisa Unger

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Sand Dollar Summer by Kimberly K. Jones

Modern Faerie Tale series by Holly Black

Bones of Faerie and Faerie Winter by Janni Lee Simner

Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking

Monster High series by Lisi Harrison

Camp Confidential series by Melissa J. Morgan

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott

His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman

Love Ya Bunches by Lauren Myracle

Anything by Ellen Hopkins, Jodi Picoult, and Neil Gaimain

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The third book of the trilogy was definitely the weakest. The attraction between the main characters had apparently started years ago, so you felt like you were walking into the middle of something and didn't have a clue what was going on.

• 9 years ago

he Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima

Bk 1: The Demon King

Bk 2: The Exiled Queen

Bk 3: The Gray Wolf Throne

It's totally underratted it's the most amazing, different and captavity series i've read in a long time, the storyline is wicked and refreshing and the characters are beyond amazing and oh, the boys wow they make you drool! Strong Female lead and the twists are great!

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead ( anything by richelle mead she is amazing)

Realistic:

graffti moon by cathy crowely

the truth about forever by sarah dessen

amy and roger's epic detour

the summer i turned pretty by jenny han

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Source(s): personal experience
  • 9 years ago

Look, I think that you will like these books:

The firm by John Grisham

Simple genius by David Baldacci

Anastasia by Vladimir Megre

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.