Relationship legality issues..?

Hey! I've been dating this girl for 10 months now! Thing is, she just turned 17 a few days ago. I turn 17 next year. In MI, 17 is the age to be an adult. Is our relationship illegal?

PS. We aren't having sex. Nor do we plan to.

Update:

We are in Michigan, if that makes any difference.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you aren't having sex (or otherwise doing anything sexual), then the law is not interested in your relationship.

Also, the age of consent in Michigan is 16, which means it would be perfectly legal for you two to have sex.

And yes, the age of majority (legal adulthood) in Michigan is 18, just like it is in every other part of the U.S. that isn't Mississippi, Alabama, or Nebraska.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

The age of majority in Michigan is 18, not 17. The age of consent is NOT the age of majority.

You are a legal adult in Michigan at the age of 18.

• 8 years ago

If you aren't having sex, you're fine.

And I'm not entirely sure about MI but many places have a law where even if you are underage you can still sleep with a person anywhere from 1-3 years older even if they are legal. you'd have to find out.

But just so you know, unless someone decides to report the person and they confess or actual evidence such as fluids or photos are found, they can't do anything about it

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

relies upon on what usa or state you're in. In places the place the age of sexual consent is eighteen, they does not have the potential to legally have an intimate relationship. In places the place the sexual age of consent is sixteen (mutually with Australia), they might have the potential to legally have intercourse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Well it depends on your state. In your state it's allowed where it can be for example a 14 year old and an 18 year old. As long as you arnt having sex it's legal. Don't worry.

• 8 years ago

I hope not, or alot of people are going to be in trouble.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.