Sunshine asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 9 years ago

Twyla Tharp's "The Catherine Wheel" underlying themes?

I am taking a history of dance class and I need some starting points for a recent assignment. We watched "The Catherine Wheel" choreographed by Twyla Tharp, music by David Byrne (from the Talking Heads). Now as much as I love dance and The Talking Heads, they are both a little out there so when it comes to deciphering what the underlying meaning and themes are, its difficult. If anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly take them! Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

The dance grew out of Twyla Tharp's fascination with Saint Catherine, the 4th-century martyr who was condemned to die on a spiked wheel.

I am also giving you the link to the NY Times review (Kisselgoff hates almost everything except NYCB.) I don't agree with her review but it does discuss some of the themes from another point of view. http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/04/arts/dance-view-...

Source(s): Twyla herself and the NY Times review.