Why doesn't it work to plug use our hdmi tv as a monitor for our computer?

So sometimes it works to use use our tv as a monitor for our computer, but if the computer shuts down and re boots it wont work to use as a screen. It works on our smaller tv with no problems. Why does it do this and why is it so damn difficult to make it work on the bigger tv? Any suggestions??

Favorite Answer

Are you using a desktop or a laptop? A laptop I own doesn't utilize a larger screen that well. Now, that could be because it is the secondary monitor output and I don't think those are made to be that advanced. If it's a desktop, you need to be using a video card.

The VGA out on a regular motherboard, in my opinion, is only meant to be "so" powerful. A video card will enable you to video out to, just about, as large of a TV as you want. You are only limited to the largest resolution the video card can output. Also, it shouldn't matter whether you use VGA, DVI, or HDMI. I have a video card with DVI outputs and I use DVI-VGA adapters to connect it to my TV.

The only other thing I can think of is that the HDMI can get finicky. We have a U-verse box by which we used multiple outputs from it to connect to specific devices. We ended up having problems and the U-verse tech said that we can only have one type of output from the box for it to work right. That may have improved since then.

Another problem I've had was when I tried switching between my Blu-ray and cable on my TV. I would have the Blu-ray plugged into the TV. But, unlike the other devices I had hooked up, the TV wouldn't recognize it until I turned it on. Sorry if this doesn't help you all that much.