CJ asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 years ago

ACE Inhibitor and public speaking?

I normally have been taking beta blockers pills before any public speaking event and they have been working wonderfully for me.But recently i came upon an article that provided some indication that beta blockers could increase one's risk of getting diabetes by as much as 50%....so that got me worried....I read in the same article that ACE inhibitors are a good replacement for beta blockers, and can possibly prevent diabetes. But that left me wondering, are they as good as beta blockers when it comes to help me in my public speeches considering that they only affect blood pressure and not the heart as well like the beta blockers.thx.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Beta blockers, also known as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, are medications that reduce your blood pressure. Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. When you take beta blockers, the heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. Beta blockers also help blood vessels open up to improve blood flow.

Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors help relax blood vessels. ACE inhibitors prevent an enzyme in your body from producing angiotensin II, a substance in your body that affects your cardiovascular system by narrowing your blood vessels and releasing hormones that can raise your blood pressure. This narrowing can cause high blood pressure and force your heart to work harder.

Not sure Beta-Blockers or ACE inhibitors are indicated for public speaking.

Diabetics are usually prescribed an ACE inhibitor to protect the kidneys from high blood pressure.

Source(s): Mayo Clinic Staff
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.