Chota.Don asked in TravelCanadaEdmonton · 10 years ago

is it safe to drink tap water in Edmonton?

Hello,

Recently i moved to Canada, Edmonton. I am not sure if tap water is safe to drink? I see many people drink from water fountains in school (is that same as tap water in my home?). I have also seen many people use those big blue bottles and they have them on water cooler? I hope someone can answer

Thanks

Favorite Answer

tap water in edmonton and canada is the cleanest in the world. it is safe to drink, but it doesnt taste very good because small amounts of chlorine is in it to prevent echoli. in rural areas everyone has their own well, the water is not chlorinated, but it is still safe to drink.

people buy the big water coolers (the blue bottles) because it is purified of minerals and chlorine that is found in tap water. some people buy them because it tastes better, and others buy them because they think it is healthier than tap water. the minerals found in tap water that are not in those bottles do not effect our health and are no harm to us. people buy small bottles of water from the store for the same reasons as the large ones.

i am from a rural area and i am used to the taste of well water. it tastes more like from a fresh spring where as the water in the city to me tastes like it came from a public pool because of the chlorine. so i use filters to get rid of the chlorine because it tastes better and also if i use it to make juice or to cook it does not taste good with the chlorine in it. you can get filters that fit onto the tap or ones that you pour water into a jug and it filters it there. brita is the best brand of water filters to get

A study by the University of Alberta some years ago showed the City of Edmonton water is cleaner than the top 6 brands of bottled water. Edmonton drinking water is amongst the best in all of Canada. I regularly drink the tap water. I have no problem with the taste. Actually enjoy the taste better than some bottled water. The water is hard (170) and has minerals in it but they're not harmful. It's simply because it's source is an 80,000km river basin that comes from the The Columbia ice fields and the Saskatchewan glacier it travels a great distance to Edmonton drawing a lot of minerals into the river as it winds through the rocky mountains.

• Louise

Yes, Edmonton tap water is completely safe and I also think it is delicious. Water fountains in schools and other public places have tap water, possibly chilled.

Some people buy bottled water for the taste or for other reasons. Others, like myself, think it's important not to take for granted that we value the central provision of good drinking water, and we avoid drinking bottled water if at all possible.

Thank you for asking the question. I hope you enjoy the taste of Edmonton water and I hope you enjoy Edmonton.

• Randy

Water quality in Canada, for the most part, is tightly controlled for the water as it leaves the treatment plants. That is not to say there are not any problems from time to time or that there isn't an issue with the pipes leading to and in your home however, for the most part, the water in Canada is safe to drink from the taps. I lived in Edmonton up until this summer and never had a problem. My wife wanted a water cooler but after about 4-6 bottles it was too much effort to refill and replace them so it just sat collecting dust. We drank the tap water the whole time we lived there without any problems.

Best Water Edmonton

• Tam

Yes, Edmonton is a major city in Canada, of course the city would have safe tap water. However it might taste better if you filtered it.

Some bottled water is bottled right from the same source as your tap water. There is a report that most water bureaus put out annually that indicates the ppm for impurities. If you are unsure, buy a water testing kit from the home depot for $20 and have your water tested

No-one here has mentioned fluoride in Edmonton water, which is a neurotoxin!

Fluoride is not removed by most filters.

I have noticed that there is a lot of sediment in the water here. Try boiling some and notice the residue that stays on the pot. The water here will not kill you right away but it does come with certain risks.

Yes, it is safe.

Water quality can vary across Canada, but all are pretty good. A city like Edmonton will test the water it daily. It is perfectly safe.

If you intend to understand the actual life home protection you then need this program https://tr.im/mM8Qi , the Patriot Self Defense program.

This extremely distinctive self-defense package include everything required, all the essential psychological methods and activity measures that you must know and take before it' also late in order to identify a potential opponent, get ready to survive a shock attack while eliminating eager and crazy efforts on your daily life in seconds. The Patriot Self Defense is the greatest on line plan for defense.