Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 8 years ago

Kindle Touch 3G or Kindle Fire?

I'm in the market for a Kindle, and after just having my brand new Sony eReader for less than 30 days, I had to return it. It's not what I was looking for and the Sony eBook store is MUCH less than satisfactory. With high hopes, I have turned to the Kindle. One reason I am leaning towards the fire is because of the LCD screen, with the eReader it had the "electronic paper" but every time I went to change the screen or press a different button it glitched out quite a bit. It also tended to be quite unresponsive. Generally though, I'm quite curious. Kindle Touch 3G? Or Kindle Fire?

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

hi, Lindsey, in my opinion e-Ink Nook Simpletouch and LCD Nook Tablet from Barnes & Noble are much better devices than comparable Kindle models.

Someone who reads a lot should only consider e-Ink eReader, no tablet. The only models I would take into consideration are Nook Simpletouch ($99 without ads) from Barnes & Noble and the new Kindle Touch ($139 without ads). Ads-supported Kindle models show full page ads to you (and everyone around you) every time they go to sleep mode and also show 2 line ads right there at your home screen - so annoying that Amazon even released a software that for $30 can convert ad-supported Kindle into non-ad-supported one. Non-touch screen Kindle models are such basic stone age devices (with page turn lag, buttons, and black blinks/flashes on each page turn) that I would not even speak about them. Nook (unlike Kindle) supports eBooks in ePub format that is the universal format most used in the world. Current e-Ink Nook Simpletouch has the latest generation touch screen display, no page turn lag, it weights less, its battery lasts twice as long (two months on one charge), and it doesn't blink on each page turn - much better than current Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard. Nook Touch is still better designed than even the new Kindle Touch with battery lasting two months with ONE hour reading a day with Wi-Fi off thus it's still twice as long as new Kindle's two months with HALF and hour a day with Wi-Fi off. It looks like Kindle didn't get any battery improvement in the new model, they only changed the test condition. More, Kindle Touch still flashes black on each page turn while Nook Touch reduces the flashing by 80%. Nook Touch and Nook Color (unlike Kindle) have microSD card slot to take a card (class 6 or above) up to 32 GB. If you walk in with the Nook to Barnes & Noble store, you’re allowed to read ANY available eBook for free while in the store via free provided in the store Wi-Fi and get free in-store technical support.

Also, no point in getting 3G Kindle now as they limit what web sites you can access (only Amazon store and Wikipedia are allowed.)

For more entertainment, Nook Tablet is $224 if sign up for Barnes & Noble membership. 11.5 hours battery life for reading and 9 hours of video playback time - that's vs. 8 hours for reading and 7.5 hours of video playback on Kindle Fire (even that 7.5 hours will not hold true in tests, video playback drains battery much more than reading) 1.0 GB RAM Vs. 512 MB RAM of Kindle Fire, 16 GB content capacity plus 32 GB via microSD card vs. 8 GB capacity of Kindle Fire with no expansion slot. Fully laminated HD screen for reduced glare vs. no lamination of Kindle Fire. Bulit-in and optimized Netflix and Hulu plus with millions of movies/shows vs. 100K movies/shows of Amazon store. Many popular apps in Nook app Store (like Angy Birds, Pandora, QuickOffice, etc.) Nook Tablet has built-in mic for Skype voice conferencing and dictations to speech recognition software. Nook already has Cloud as all eBooks in your online library are stored there as well as downloaded to your device.

In addition, Nooks (since Nook Color) are the darlings of the root'ing community especially because they have microSD slot (not on Kindle Fire) thus Nooks can be rooted by burning OS image on the microSD card and booting off it without rooting the actual device and voiding the warranty. On Kindle, once you rooted there's no coming back.

You can buy Nook’s at Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Millon, Walmart, BestBuy, Staples, OfficeMax, Fred Mayer, P.C. Richard, Radio Shack, Target, Fry's, etc. stores and web sites.

My children luv their own Kindle Fire. Get 1 for yourself and 1 for for your kids!

Source(s): Amazon Kindle Fire HDX : http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-HDX/dp/B00BWYQ9Y...
  • Rose D

The biggest question is, how do you plan to use it? Will you be using it primarily for reading, or do you want to play games and do web browsing?

If you're interested primarily in reading, go with the Touch. The e-ink display is much easier on the eyes. It also has a longer battery life, which is good for long reading sessions. It's also a handy size for carrying around, similar to a paperback.

If you want to play games and surf the web, the Fire is a better choice, as long as you won't be doing a whole lot of reading. The LCD screen is harder on the eyes, and it has a shorter battery life. The slightly larger size means it may be more awkward to carry around.

Just read a e book watching exactly the same e book that has been made into that movie. You can find details in a written book that people neglect observing a movie. We do not have the sense of color or smell our intellects can create.

• Norman

Books improve your grammar, reading level, spelling, vocabulary, and generally tend to be more educational than T.V.