Pediatricians: How hard was it to study and graduate in order to be a pediatrician?

Hey there pediatricians/doctors! I really want to become a pediatrician in the future, but i need some advice. How well i should do in highschool, how much your GPA should be... MCAT scores? Scholarships for universities? Anything that you think will help me! Btw, i live in Toronto if that helps at all.. =) THANKS!

I really want to become a pediatrician and I want to know how i can get into the necessary courses and classes/uni's? It doesn't really matter if your not a pediatrician but if you do have the knowledge please share!=)

Favorite Answer

I'm not a pediatrician, although I know several of them which gave me tips on how to get into med school and stuff. First of all, to become a pediatrician on a scale from 1-100 (100 being the hardest)it's definitely a 95-100. In high school, i was informed that i had to be in the highest level courses which was possible for me to get into, and still with all of those difficult classes, they informed me i should still get good grades, not just decent. I'm not sure what you're high school GPA is out of, but my school is out of a 6.0, and a 6.0 is only possible to achieve with all honors and AP classes. In my school a 4.0 is the honor roll, which is the average GPA usually for high school students, and the deans list is a 4.5 GPA. The doctors said I am expected to receive at least a 5.3 GPA on average. Right now, thankfully my average is a 5.6, so I'm doing over what I'm expected. And about scholarships, you aren't expected to just get full scholarships or anything, but if you get 2-3 part scholarships, taking off like 1/3 of the price of the college, then you know you're on the right track. If you get no scholarships at all, then it's not bad, but you should just know that you might want to step up with your studies a bit. In college, you must achieve a GOOD GPA. You must make sure you do everything possible in order to keep the college GPA up, because this is where things get really hard. In college, if you have a 3.5 GPA average, then you're expected to get into at least one medical school, although the requirements just get higher and higher every single year so im not sure how high it will be in 4-5 years. And for the MCAT, you must have higher than a 30 no matter what. A 30 is already pushing it a little, because many people preform so well on it, so it'll be much better to get a 32+. So if you have a 3.6+ GPA and a 32+ in college then you will most definitely get into medical school, but that's not the toughest task, nor the most stressful one from everyone that I've spoken to. Medical school will be the second worst part about the process, although, if you truly love medicine, then it'll make medical school much easier. All the doctors said that out of all their most exciting moments of school, one of the best ones were getting into medical school for their first time, but an even better moment was getting out of it knowing they graduated haha. After medical school, you're going be required to pass 3 tests, each are going to be 8 hours long, with one break in between. You'll need to do fair on it to get into a decent residency. So medical school will take a big chunk of time, and after that, it will be your residency, which most doctors say is harder than medical school, because of all the amount of hours required to work (and trust me, there's going to be a loooot of hours), and in the little free time they will have, they are required to study. Pediatric residencies are usually about 4-5 years. And after the residency comes the fellowship which is optional, which I hear is highly recommended so you'll be a specialist. The fellowship is the easy part though thankfully. So after you're done with the fellowship, then congradualations, just pass the national board examinations and good job, you've successfully became a new pediatrician! It's VERY VERY difficult, but if you really want to become a pediatrician with your heart then it is going to be very possible and it'll become much easier too. Good luck and i hope i helped!

• Karen

You can major in ANY field as long as you take the premed classes. The commonly accepted coursework requirements for medical school include a minimum of 1 year of: General biology Physics with lab General chemistry (inorganic chemistry) with lab Organic chemistry with lab Calculus English Sociology Psychology