I need some help with capital punishment!?

So me and my friend are doing this project on capital punishment and we're suppose to write a paragraph with three reasons as to why we chose capital punishment as a topic to present.

I had come up with the reasons before my friend did so I helped her out and now she has better reasons than I do! It's not that I want better reasons than her but I want to have reasons with equal value. These are the reasons I helped her come up with:

1) It's interesting how a method of punishment originating from times prior to the Medieval times has transcended into the 21st century, and shows no signs of stopping.

2)How something that had to do with making society better by killing those deemed bad ironically corrupted society even more by killing innocent lives.

3) How capital punishment was the go-to resolution for everything and anything

The only reason I came up with (as of now) is the fact I was intrigued with the fact that there are a variety of numerous methods of capital punishment besides execution and the electrical chair.

Can someone please help me come up with two more good reasons? I can't come up with anything T_T I'm really stuck!

Favorite Answer

You could explore some of the leading arguments against it (or maybe these sub-topics will spark some ideas):

- Mistakes happen. Since 1973 in the U.S., 138 people have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence. These are ALL people who had been found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." A life sentence is reversible. An execution is not.

- Cost - because of the legal apparatus designed to minimize wrongful executions (and the enormous expense of death row incarceration), it costs taxpayers MUCH more to execute someone than to imprison them for life.

- It is not a deterrent - violent crime rates are consistently HIGHER in death penalty jurisdictions.

- It is inconsistently and arbitrarily applied.

- Because the U.S. is one of the last remaining nations with capital punishment, many other countries refuse to extradite known criminals who should be standing trial here.

- It fosters a culture of violence by asserting that killing is an acceptable solution to a problem.

- Jesus was against it (see Matthew 5:7 & 5:38-39, James 4:12, Romans 12:17-21, John 8:7, and James 1:20).

- Life without parole (LWOP) is on the books in most states now (all except Alaska), and it means what it says. People who get this sentence are taken off the streets. For good.

- As Voltaire once wrote, "let the punishments of criminals be useful. A hanged man is good for nothing; a man condemned to public works still serves the country, and is a living lesson."

- Whether you’re a hardened criminal or a government representing the people, killing an unarmed human being is wrong. Period. “He did it first” is not a valid excuse.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your project!

• card

i does not call it contradictory... constructive, technically C.P is homicide; yet could the case be the criminal killing of a murderer, that murderer might have widespread all alongside that committing the crime might bring about turn, in his very own dying. His sufferer might have had no such decision. In this style of difficulty, a killer who latest-mindedly kills does so figuring out his very own destiny. yet. i'm anti. There are continually exceptions to which persons might desire to exempt a definite criminal. and there is often fake conviction. i think of it incredibly is too vast a selection to place upon human beings, and too vast a criminal precise for human beings to have.