What are your thoughts about depression in children and students?

Why do they have it? What can we do to help them?

• Shooty
    Favorite Answer

Emotions taken too far.

People afraid to really change or are just wanting attention because they're going through a rough patch.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a serious problem, but I still think it's a silly one that we shouldn't be having in the first place.

It's interesting that it's really a Western problem. Wonder if it has to do with society moving a way from Christianity. I should look into studies about it.

I'm 14 years old, I suffer from minor-depression. I have my whole life, a few years ago I used to be Bulimic. I'm a very, shy, sensitive person, usually the Internet is my only way to bring out myself without caring. When I get upset, my way of coping is to cut and starve myself. Hit, scratch, anything to harm myself. Why do I do this? I tried it two years ago, because I was curious, and I got addicted. It is an addiction, like a drug, a way to escape. I take Lexapro 10 mg and it helps me from being on the edge.

I believe kids overreact and have not been dealing with "real" issues long enough to realize that they have their whole lives ahead of them to change things they don't like about themselves and their current way of living. Also, they haven't had "experiences" yet where they learn how to cope with issues rather than resorting to blaming it on a medical problem.

I just started to read a book on this subject. The book is called Summerhill. Its about a school in England with no rules or suggestions. Its actually very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.S._Neill

Read a few of the questions on here from teens, they tell you their whole life story and how it makes them feel. We should all get paid for being their therapist.

We get many problems coming from our friends and parents especially. Sometimes its just for a small thing like for me: i could not get my grades up no matter how i tried.