b4bill2001 asked in SportsHockey · 9 years ago

which players have lived up to the hype and who has not?

i'd say Nugent-Hopkins has been a nice surprise, did'nt see Kessel let alone Lupul being where they are on the scoring list. Where is Staal, Iginla and several others.

Update:

poor choice of words, sorry i meant to ask who has met expectations and who has not this season so far.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

So, besides who you have listed

Seguin is having an incredible sophomore season, so I would put him up in the discussion as living up to the hype of being #2. Marc-Andre Fleury has been lost in all of the Crosby news, but Flower is putting together his best season ever, so he's living up to #1.

Eric Johnson has to be a disappointment. #1 overall, Johnson hasn't shown that he can be the two-way workhorse that everyone hoped he would be. Right now, he's an above-average, big defender. Obviously, the struggles of Ovechkin have been noted and documented across the league, so he needs to be better and soon, or the Capitals may miss the playoffs after being one of the pre-season picks as the Cup Finalist in the East.

• LJ
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

When you say "Lived up to the hype" you can not include players like Staal, Iginla, Ovechkin because they are not rookies and they have all put together many great years in the NHL...They are in what are called "slumps"..

Players that don't live up to the Hype are high draft picks with high expectations that either never make it to the NHL or do nothing. There are so many guys that fill that list it's not even funny. Saying Jarome Iginla hasn't lived up the hype is absurd: He was drafted 11th in the 1995 entry draft and and has scored 1,000 points in his career and was the 10th player in NHL history to score 30 goals in ten consecutive seasons ...Or someone like Ovechkin not living up to the hype as a number one overall pick? 633 points in 500 career games?

You can't compare Apples to Oranges my friend and while RNH is playing well, 29 career NHL points don't compare to the other great NHL players who are currently "slumping" right now who have proved themselves for years.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Lived up to the hype:

Kessel

Nugent-Hopkins

Khabibulin

Kari Lehtonen

Mike Smith

Milan Michalek

Marian Gaborik

Not:

Eric Staal

Ovechkin

Luongo

Hiller

Bobby Ryan

Steve Mason

Jaroslav Halak

Chris Stewart

• peng
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

specific completely. all and sundry looks to think of there are approximately 25 contemporary gamers who're worth of having interior the corridor of popularity mutually as historical past shows us there are at maximum 5 or 7. that's barely stupid. human beings get so labored up whilst a participant has a good season (or a good a million/2 of a season in Ed Reed's case) -- that's barely stupid. according to risk i grew to become into like that too as quickly as I first began following the NFL yet i don't think of so. human beings could get some attitude.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

In the recent drafts...

Lived up to the hype:

Stamkos

Doughty

Bogosian

Tavares

E. Kane

Hall

Seguin

Nugent-Hopkins

Larsson

Hasn't lived up to the hype:

Hedman (although he's not bad, and is getting better)

Gudbranson

Johansen

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Player that lived up to the hype:

Nugent-Hopkins

Stamkos

Crosby

Ovechkin (early in his career)

Malkin

Steve Yzerman

Mario

Marty Brodeur

Jaromir Jagr

Marc-Andre Fleury

Jordan Staal

Jonathan Toews

Patrick Kane

Players that have underachieved:

Ovechkin (as of right now)

Lindros

Alexandre Daigle

John Tavares

Devin Dubnyk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.