Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I bruise very easily?

There have been times where my brother has simply flicked me and I've bruised. I was in a theatre production this past few weeks and just from kneeling on stage I have some nasty bruises on my legs. Should I consult a doctor? .. Also, just throwing this in here. I slipped on ice a couple of days ago and it hurt to walk but my upper thigh area didn't bruise. Yesterday I slipped on a dress and fell on the same spot, I couldn't even sleep on that side as it was so painful, but there is still no bruise today? Usually I bruise almost instantly! Maybe I'm just being paranoid though. Thoughts?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Skin bruising is usually caused by a minor contusion or injury. You may find that you bruise more easily on your legs, because your legs are generally more prone to injury and the effect of gravity on blood flow. You may bruise easily from minor bumps or scrapes. This may simply be a familial, or inherited tendency to bruise easily and it is not necessarily a cause for concern. Easy bruising is also referred to as purpura simplex. However, frequent and unexplained bruising can also be a sign of something more serious, such as a blood clotting disorder or a blood disease, so contact your health care provider to discuss your symptoms.

In some cases, bruising is a symptom of a serious or life-threatening condition that should be immediately evaluated in an emergency setting.

Bruising due to injury

Bruising is often caused by everyday injuries or more serious trauma including:

Blunt force, such as a blow to the face

Child or domestic abuse

Falling

Motor vehicle collision

Sports injury

Bruising due to age, gender and lifestyle factors

Easy or unexplained bruising can be caused by age, gender and lifestyle factors such as:

Aging skin

Alcohol abuse (decreases blood clotting)

Female gender (women bruise more easily than men)

Bruising due to serious underlying diseases

A variety of diseases, disorders and conditions can cause bruising symptoms, including easy or unexplained bruising and purpura. Purpura is caused by spontaneous leaking of blood from tiny blood vessels (capillaries), resulting in purple or red flat spots or patches on the skin and mucus membranes. Some underlying causes of unexplained bruising or purpura include:

Aplastic anemia

Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis

Certain infectious diseases, such as meningitis, mononucleosis and measles

Cushing’s disease

Hemophilia (inherited bleeding disorder)

Insect bites

Leukemia

Organ failure

Thrombocytopenic purpura diseases (potentially life-threatening platelet disorders that cause problems with blood clotting)

Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)

Vitamin C deficiency (scurvy)

Von Willebrand's disease (inherited bleeding disorder)

Medications that can cause bruising

Always tell your doctor about any medications or treatments you are using including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, supplements, and herbal or alternative treatments. The following medications may be a possible cause of easy bruising or purpura:

Anticoagulants (blood thinners such as warfarin and heparin)

Antidepressants including serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclics

Aspirin

Fish oil

Ginkgo biloba

Interferon

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen

Penicillin

Plavix (antiplatelet medication)

Radiation or chemotherapy

Testosterone replacement therapy

What are the potential complications of bruising?

Complications associated with bruising can be progressive and vary depending on the underlying cause. Because easy or unexplained bruising can be due to serious diseases, failure to seek treatment can result in complications and permanent damage. It is important to contact your health care provider when you experience any kind of persistent or recurrent bruising or bleeding symptoms, such as lacerations or cuts that take a long time to stop bleeding. Once the underlying cause is diagnosed, following the treatment plan outlined by your doctor can lower your risk of potential complications including:

Coma due to brain contusion or hematoma

Compartment syndrome (complication of severe muscle bruise)

Hematoma

Hypovolemic shock and coma due to contusions or hematomas of organs such as the liver or spleen

Risk of fracture, especially in the elderly

Hope this answers your question :)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

vitamin k

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.