What could this movie be?

My mum was describing a movie to me that she swears we watched as a family. I'm pretty well-versed in movies yet I don't have any memory of it.

Her description: It's an end-of-the-world movie where the people have body parts falling off. They never explain the disaster. There's a doctor character. It's really depressing. It "might" be in black and white, or maybe in color, possibly changes during it. All the characters die at the end.

I thought it was Omega Man but she said it's not campy. It's also not American Zombie or The Road.

Favorite Answer

You say it's not campy and it's really depressing. Then I wonder if it was an oldie called Testament (1983).

Nuclear war in the United States is portrayed in a realistic and believable manner. The story is told through the eyes of a woman who is struggling to take care of her family. The entire movie takes place in a small suburban town outside San Francisco. After the nuclear attack, contact with the outside world is pretty much cut off.

The kids were bleeding from their "bottoms", if I remember right -- no body parts were falling off, however. It's assumed that all the characters die, in the end.

There's also The Day After (1983) in which a doctor is the main character and he's played by Jason Robards.

A graphic, disturbing film about the effects of a devastating nuclear holocaust on small-town residents of eastern Kansas.