why did you choose to build your colony where it is?

HI.... I am Jenna and for GEO class we are suppose to build a colony in the 1880s. Anyways, mine is near the sea. I was just wondering....what are some advantages and disadvantages to building a colony[in the 1800s] next to a big body of water???

Like for example why would you want to build it next to the water? Why not any where else?

This is what I came up with so far.... you build it next to the water because fish for food and you have a supply of water.

can you please give me some more ideas????

THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 0rion
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

well an advantage to building near the ocean could be to develope a shipping port, which would engross the city with a large and diverse economy. (solong as there was a good harbor to build a port in)

shipping in the 1800's was VERY big.

although a river would be a better location. most large nations started with one city built on a river, ussualy a large enough river to provide a shipping lane to the ocean. london was built on the thames (pronounced tems), rome was built on the tiber, memphis was built on the nile in egypt. the yangtze river in china was known, and still known for alot of trade. mobile alabama is a port city, new orleans La. is on the missisippi river. washington DC is on the potomac river, NYC is on an island with a good harbor,the list goes on and on.

a primary location both for military and economic reliance and stability is a location with immediate large scale water transport, which is why most cities that end up big are close to water, so your on the right track.. although fresh water like a river is consumable whereas saltwater woudl need wells and whatnot, so a river in proximity would be a nessesity if it was on the coast.

other good resources to have in the immediate area to build a colony to turn into a city would be physical resources like

fertile farmland (ussualy irregated by fresh water like a river)

quarryable land for stone like limestone and granite for building.

good forested areas in the location for timber to build and make trade goods like furnature OR ships.

clay deposits in swampy areas to make pottery and insulation for chimneys.. or even better.. peat in swamps and bogs for fuel

alot of rivers carry white sand that can be refined and turned into glass. which was highly valued in the 1800s

rare mineral and ore deposits like alabaster, gold, silver, iron.. (iron really drove the entire trade industry back then.. and still does)

to come up with a good location for your colony, stop to think of what the people there would use, and where they would get it from. food, building,, and especialy.. trade. (trade routes and things to export) and the people themselves,, tradesmen, farmers, military, merchants, doctors, sailors, artisans etc etc.. list goes on and on.

hope that helps a bit

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Life is dependent on water. The oldest and most successful cities in the world are almost always located on a riverbank or seashore. Yes, you can eat the fish, and you can also catch and sell the fish and support the colony with that kind of trade. If there are any rivers nearby you can use those for transportation. Drinking and cleaning water are important. You can make money by becoming a port for other ships to stop at and reload supplies.

There are some disadvantages, but you'll get disadvantages no matter where you live. There is the threat of massive waves, and the threat of over fishing. Also, the original Plymouth colony was next to a creek where mosquitoes bred, causing sickness like malaria and yellow fever to run rampant. You also need to be careful about dumping waste in your drinking water, which people have done for thousands of years and relatively recently found out it is bad.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Some advantages are you could drink the water…as long as it’s not dirty or salt water. Or you could bathe in it, as long as you don’t drink it and you could also use it for trade. Ships could come and go with supplies. A disadvantage, I can’t think of many, but one would be a huge tide come up and wash away your stuff, or a hurricane. Mostly nature stuff.(:

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.