Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What is a better understanding of the meaning of Luke 5:1 for us? Have we considering the depth?

of what Jesus Christ asked...us to do?

"Put out into the deep water, and let down the nets for a catch” (Luke 5:1)

What special meanings can we discover together from this passage of scripture?

thanks for joining in with good intentions...

and for those who may not believe in all that Jesus Christ has to offer us, please show kindness in response...

Update:

..rather than giving just a reaction... it is good to share in ways... which help us all define our feelings weather these feeling be positive or negative ones.

Update 2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Think upon this question from this area... if you so will... then answer... thanks to all..

“Put out into the deep water” – that is, go to the very depths of the hearts of men. ‘Put out into the deep water” – go to Christ, the source of living waters of wisdom and knowledge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 3:

Correction....

What is a better understanding of the meaning of Luke 5:1 for us? Have we Been considering the depth?

of what Jesus Christ asked...us to do?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I love the direction of this question and what you are hoping to draw out from what the Lord has spoken to us regarding the deep water, letting down the nets for the catch.

Too often I think that we can be quite superficial when it comes to the catching of fish, being fishers of men. The Lord desires to get deep into the hearts of men, to get past all the reasonings, the indifferences, the boundaries of our upbringing, our history, who we are in the very depths of our being, and to CONNECT and have a way to enter into the very core of their hearts, where God has set forth Eternity.

Eccl 3:11

He has made everything beautiful in its own time; also He has put eternity in their heart, yet so that man does not find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.

Eternity is set forth in the hearts of men. To reach to these depths we need to be willing to put out into the deep water, to let our nets down to touch and address the eternity that God has put there in men's heart. Where the deep, calls unto deep... and is satisfied.

May we be willing to allow and cooperate with the Lord in our sharing with others. He is the Living Water that satisfies us. We go to Him as the Fountain of Living water, the Source and Supply... Like the woman at the Well, we want to drink deeply, have a first hand experience of this Living One, and then go out into our villages and say, COME, see a Man who has told me all that I have done...is this not the Christ? ( John 4:29)

The living water comes out of the innermost being of a man. This is no shallow place... but one of depth, of spirit and truthfulness.

In our sharing of the gospel of our Lord as the Living Water, may we speak a deeper kind of truth to them. I am not sure that ' getting saved and going to heaven" is really touching the ' eternity' set forth in the hearts of men. Today people want to know the meaning of the Human existence. Why did God create me? What is the purpose of Life?

God made us to have these kind of deep questions because they match the eternity that He set forth in our hearts. We need to know that we are created in God's image, according to God's kind. God is a deep Person and we are made according to His Kind... we were not made to be satisfied with just an education, a good life, a good home, and " things" .. but we were made to contain God, express God, and give this Living Water to others, by letting the Lord flow in and out of us...

I really thank the Lord for putting this kind of question into your heart sister.

It was very meaningful and full of weight.

Praise the Lord, we are the fishers of Men when we follow the Lord's speaking.. PUT OUT INTO THE DEEP WATER, and LET DOWN the nets for A CATCH!

Source(s): RcV bible
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

You must be referring to the book of Luke starting with verse one. That entire book is about having faith that God will provide. Placing your trust in his word, and promises he has for you in life. Just as the bread and the fish being multiplied countless times. to feed the hungry people who came to hear Jesus speak. That kind of miracle does not stop there. It happens still today. But your faith must be in line with the will of God.

I have a small restaurant, and every fall after the tourists leave, the bottom falls out until tourist season returns in March. I may take in 70 dollars for the entire day's work because our local patrons keep coming to eat. Some how, we are still able to pay all of our employees, pay our bills and still cover the bills at home. It's exactly like the fish and the bread. If you have true doubting faith that God will provide for you as he does the birds in the winter, He will provide.

Even though the fishermen gave up and said there is not more fish to catch, If you have faith in the provisions Jesus has for you in life, you will never want for anything. Just the other day, my son and his wife were trying to pay their bills for the month. they were 100 dollars short and ran out of options as to where that money was going to come from. They got down on their knees and told Jesus that they have done all they can financially, and would he take this burden from them and provide that last 100 dollars if it was his will to do so.. They praise him for doing it even before he did it. The very next day, my son went to his mail box and got a card from one of his friends who forgot to give them their wedding present from their wedding 6 weeks earlier. And low and behold was a check for 100 dollars.

God is talking about faith and what you can accomplish with it. Those miracles in the bible still happen today. Embrace them. Praise the Lord for them. He does not love those birds more than he loves us.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I believe Jesus was telling the fishermen and his disciples to have faith in GOD when things look bleak and hopeless.

They just got back from being out there and caught nothing.

To always have faith in GOD to provide.

Jesus then proceeded to make those same disciples fishers of men with the word of GOD.

He not only showed us the way, spoke of the way but made his believers pave the way for others.

Jesus is not only the living waters but he provides us with food from those waters and we all know we cannot live by bread alone but by the word of GOD as well.

• 9 years ago

The deep water would be deep thought and understanding. Your nets are your intentions. Cast your intentions into deep understanding. Plus, we catch many fish with our intentions if they're love. However, many people don't know how to receive love, so it isn't all that effective.

• 9 years ago

why must there be deeper meaning?

edit: in this case the basic meaning is, even though you are frustrated and discouraged, try one more time ...

seems significant enough at face value

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.