L.J.
Lv 5
L.J. asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 8 years ago

Do sheep ever find their way home if they are lost?

I have heard of cats finding their way home. And it's possible that dogs do this too. But does a sheep ever find its own way home? Sterotypically, sheep are not that smart, are there any know cases of a sheep wandering off and coming back? Or anyone have sheep and have to go find lost ones coz you know they won't come back?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

If you think sheep are dumb, you are mistaken, but many people make the same mistake. After 20+ years of raising sheep, I had to smarten up a lot before I could appreciate how sheep think. Being at the bottom the food chain, they learned long ago that there is safety in numbers, they must be wary of everything that is different or new and to never go into a darkened area because you never know what's in there. Unlike the old adage, for a sheep, what you don't know CAN hurt you. Any individuals who wasn't wary enough or intelligent enough was eaten long before it was able to reproduce.

There was a recent study in Scotland that revealed that sheep are now considered the smartest species of domestic livestock, even smarter than hogs. They can see color, recognize shapes and quickly learn to associate certain shapes, colors or actions with food. They found that sheep would problem solve in order to get to some eats. I do know that the average sheep will quickly find any weakness in your fencing system. And I know for a fact that sheep have better memories than any other livestock. If you open up a gate this fall that leads into a tasty hay field (or they get through the fence), I know from experience that if you put the sheep into the same area a full year later, they will immediately go to that same gate or hole in the fence like it was yesterday.

That said, if your sheep wandered away to a new area, you can be assured it will be able to find it's way back. Now if it was chased there by a predator, that may be a different story. And if it got out of a trailer far from home, I don't believe it will will have an innate sense of which way is home like some cats and dogs do. Ewes will sometimes wander away from or distance themselves from the rest of the flock to lamb, with hair sheep being more apt to do so than wool breeds.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Sheep rarely wonder from the herd. Rams (male sheep) might wonder a bit but have the herd in his sights

• 3 years ago

particular. James 5:19,20 - Brethren, if everybody between you wanders from the actuality, and somebody turns him lower back, enable him comprehend that he who turns a sinner from the errors of his way will shop his soul from dying and canopy a super style of sins. ~ observe: If the backslider would not get corrected, his soul will perish with non secular dying. that's not eternal existence. The observe wanders additionally potential to sever or fall faraway from the actuality, to be led off aim into errors and sin. The observe from additionally potential of departing, of fleeing, of any style of separation of one ingredient from yet another by making use of which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed. of course, it rather is approximately brethren who're now not saved. The observe turns additionally potential to reason to return, to deliver lower back to the affection and obedience of God. it rather is part of what i'm attempting to do with this information superhighway website. The observe shop additionally potential to maintain one that is in threat of destruction. The observe dying additionally potential with the implied concept of destiny misery in hell, the misery of the soul springing up from sin, which starts on earth yet lasts and will strengthen after the dying of the physique in hell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.