256GB SSD or 750GB SATA for Gaming Laptop?

Currently I'm using an Alienware m14x with 750GB SATA storage. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and have a fair amount of games in my library. Alienware is shipping (should arrive next 2 days) a new laptop because there was a malfunction in the screen.

What I originally planned on doing was just to switch out the harddrives and send back my old laptop. But in this new laptop their sending me there is a 256GB solid state drive. They gave me the option of either switching out harddrives or creating a backup of my harddrive right now and keeping the solid state one.

That seems extremely appealing to me seeing as heat would go down and performance would boost. Except for the fact that my storage capacity will drop significantly. I'm looking for anyone else's opinion on this, should I keep the 256 harddrive and buy a larger external harddrive for things like movies, music, etc.?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it :)

• Jimmy
    Favorite Answer

The SSD would be better because a laptop can be dropped or fall and an SSD would not get damaged as easily like a hard drive would be.

I would go with the SSD for increased performance, but if it's fast enough and you need more storage space go with the Hard Drive