What is the origin of the term "District of Columbia" for Washington?

Specifically, where does the term Columbia come from, why used for this region?

• Bilbo
    Favorite Answer

To distinguish it from the State of Washington. The capital is indicated by DC - the territry in which it sits.

The District of Columbia it is not in any state as it independent, as befits the Federal capital. It was originally a part of the State of Maryland.

Columbia is the poetic name for America. Columbia combines the stem Columb- based on the surname of the explorer Christopher Columbus and an ending -ia, common in Latin names of countries (e.g. Britannia "Britain", Gallia "Gaul"). The meaning is therefore "Land of Columbus."

As it says on the box. District=subnational region in the USA that's neither a state nor a territory and Columbia, a poetic name for the USA. Literally "Area of Columbus-land".

*Added* The city of Washington and the District of Columbia was formed in 1790, while the state of Washington was admitted to the union in 1889, about a century after the District of Columbia was founded.

• hooten

while i grow to be sixteen I objected to the term- my son- which got here from no longer my father yet an entire stranger. My mate hates being called a Chav, i'm no longer able to stand the term midsection elderly, it sounds greater like midsection a protracted time ! Geriatric is yet another bone of opposition ? What approximately Recycled teen or lively Pensioner ? i think of I choose Senior Citizen, yet there back that's in simple terms my very very own own view. that's the subject there are continually people who opt to pigeonhole and steriotype all of us, yet all of us is a man or woman, at each age point and what seems to be the two desirable to the age attained, the guy could be the two forward or backward to those years. a chum of mine is 40-one yet acts like a 80 twelve months previous, my mum while at 80 acted greater like a teen, so as that leaves the question why catigorise interior the 1st place? we are all area of the human race, as long as we don't come final who cares !!lol!!