Revolvers vs semi auto pistols?

I say revolvers because semi auto pistols have a higher chance of jamming.

Best Answer

For beginners a revolver, for experienced and competent shoots either is okay. The semi auto pistols of today are much more reliable than the were 60 years ago in the hands of an experienced shooter.

• Jheri

I'm going to give you a simple straight answer! I have a few! They are in different places in my house! My first pick,is a Tokarev T-54! Where I sleep is a 38 S&W Colt. If it gets worse than that,I'm a terrible shot and will bring out the Mossy 12 ga,which is always loaded with 00 buck! Seriously,it's a matter of personal preference! You have your own preference after experience with the gun. I personally like revolvers,but I have several semi-auto pistols as well. Now to answer your question,I would much prefer to have six shots,that I know will work,than 8-30 that MAY fire from the semi-auto pistol!

Any mechanism can fail one way or another.

While misfires when a cylinder isn't fully aligned on a revolver is rare, it can happen. Some people like myself have had thousands of rounds cycled through semi-auto pistols and have seen zero malfunctions. That is, unless the primer fails and the round fails to fire (happened to me on the range last week!)

So it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Source(s): Been shooting handguns for almost 25 years.

depends on the quality of the handgun, maintenance, cleaning. yes revolvers are typically more reliable but can only hold 6 rounds compared to a semi-auto with a double-stack magazine. the beretta M9 has a 15 round magazine capacity and is very reliable...i prefer semi auto

• BruceN

The military introduced automatics in 1911, though they also kept revolvers through WWII. Jamming was the traditional reason that law enforcement prohibited semi-autos. The Border Patrol did not issue them until 1994. But improvements in weapons technology and the need for more firepower have made the automatic standard.

Personally, I was trained with and prefer wheel guns. One should not need even six rounds in a straight on street fight. Two ought to do.

True semi auto has a high chance of jaming but if u clean it regularly it will be fine.1 good thing about revolvers is they dont leave sheel casing & some of z most powerful hand guns r revolvers.but semi autos are more speedy less recoile flexible & esayer & faster to reload than revolvers.personale i chosse semi auto.

revolvers generally fire a bigger bullet and have more stopping power but semi auto's use smaller bullets with bigger mags. semi autos do jam more. its all about the situation.

revolvers are good in NYC subways so that when you shoot perps, you do not leave any brass. Makes it impossible for the cops to catch you.

semiiauto leaves barass, with maybe your fingerprint behind.

Either one is good if it is of high quality and you practice with it.

Source(s): 50 years hand gun experience
  • not realy