Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 9 years ago

Why does Canadian URLs end with ".ca"?

I know it is because it stands for Canada but the UK goes .co.uk and .co.nz and .co.au, etc.

Favorite Answer

.ca is the country domain name used for Canada. It's just the way the domain name has been created for Canada.

NZ uses .co.nz (as I'm from NZ).

Australia uses .com.au

India uses .in and Italy uses .it for example

So as you can, there is no real consistently unfortunately.

Some uses .co.xxxxx and some uses .com.xxxx and some just uses .ca

All Internet domain suffixes or Top-Level Domains (TLD) and their associated locations have to be approved by ICANN. A full list is here: http://www.techdictionary.com/domainlist.html or here: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/num/domains.htm

Thanks

Like eDDy said, .co stands for company but in Canada, sites usually just use .com for that. .ca is usually used when the .com is taken or the site wants to specify that it's Canadian, like how amazon.ca is differentiated from the other amazons. There are rules about who can use a .ca - listed on this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ca

So the real question is, why is it amazon.co.uk instead of just amazon.uk? It seems the organization in charge of .uk doesn't allow it. I don't know why but I would guess it's so sites are identified for the type they are - co.uk for companies, org.uk for non-profit organizations, etc. (There are some .uk sites that were set-up before the rule though.)

The Canadian Internet Registration Authority doesn't have this rule so just plain .ca is allowed.

co = co-operation/company

so Uk has other urls too like gov.uk , org.uk etc

same goes with austrilia(au) and nz(new zealand).

its just how they categorize domains. and its upto the owner what he wants to buy. Im sitting in Malaysia but I can buy co.uk domain for my company if I want. Just an idea to make ppl think that im from Uk. lol

They depended on people who promoted the scheme to them and picture they are doing you a want by utilising getting you in contact. They love you... I recommend explaining on your kinfolk the risk of the schemes they are advertising. there are various smart people obtainable who do not recognize what a scam is. the common reason at the back of it particularly is the reality the standard public college gadget does not teach approximately financial frauds. If public colleges taught approximately pyramid schemes, ponzi schemes, and chain letters, then lots much less people might fall for those scams. Your kinfolk are attempting to "hit it enormous" via fact they decide on greater funds. there is rarely sufficient funds. stable success with all of this.

• Neil

There is no .co.au - its is .com.au

Your talking about country codes in the suffix but haven't you answered your own question.

"do" not "does"