col asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

If Colubus discovered America, why was it there before?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Columbus didn't "discover" America. Columbus' discovery was of the island "San Salvador" in the Bahamas, although exactly which island that is has been lost to history.

What you're implying, I believe, is how can Columbus have "discovered" something that clearly already existed as was known by other people - specifically the people who lived there? The answer is that Columbus "discovered" these islands for Europe; he made them known to Europe. The equivalent might be like you moving to a new town and "discovering" a great restaurant that everyone else around town already knows about.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that many other Europeans and perhaps even Africans "discovered" North & South America long before Columbus. We know for a fact that Vikings visited North America in the 11th century and established a short-lived colony called "Vinland." Before that, there was an Irish monk who, led by the tales of Irish fishermen, may have sailed to the shores of North America. In the early medieval period, there was supposedly a Welsh explorer who sailed with several people to colonize a place near modern-day Mobile, Alabama.

The difference, however, is that the earlier European explorers found - and then lost - North America. When Columbus "discovered" the Americas, they stayed discovered.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

They say Columbus was the first European to discover America. Which actually isn't true since Columbus was actually in the Caribbean somewhere. Amerigo Vespucci discovered America.

Source(s): I paid attention in history class
  • 8 years ago

I'm not sure what you are asking. That's like saying that if you haven't met me, I don't really exist. America - or rather, the American continent, was always there. And others, before Columbus, had discovered it and settled it.

• Robert
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

In other words, Columbus was the first Spaniard that saw America.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Discovering something requires sharing the knowledge of it with others to be recognized.

If you cannot understand this, you need to stay in school.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because he found it, he didn't put it there he found it, and told the world it was there, and also Colombus found the carribeans not America.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.