Lisa asked in TravelLatin AmericaEcuador · 9 years ago

what to bring from ecuador?

I'm taking a volunteer trip to ecuador by myself for 6 weeks in a few months.

i feel bad that I'm going alone and i want to bring things from ecuador for my family and friends

what are the best suitable things?

i am going to go to the otavalo market and other markets for hand made stuff

i just want to know what kind of treats i can bring from ecuador-that is popular

• Jess
    Favorite Answer

One really cool gift from Ecuador is tagua carvings. Tagua/vegetable ivory is carved into different figurines and jewelry. There's a great selection in Banos...and many other gift shops throughout the country will have a selection.

Otavalo is famous for there woven items. Depending on how much room you have in your luggage you could consider blankets, hammocks, tablecloths, sweaters, wall hangings and more.

There is also a variety of different types of paintings for sale...from traditional scenery paintings of Ecuador to eccentric almost abstract modern art.

Source(s): http://www.life-in-ecuador.com/banos-ecuador.html (photo of tagua carving)

gold is cheap there. Purchase jewelry.