Being an esthetician?

So ive been tryna figure out what i wanted to do for the longest time... I think i was more set on "income" then being happy with my job. ive been unemployed for the past 7 months and im finally just like screw this i need some type of job. i def wanna go to school for esthetician. but i also wanna have some type of other job in the same field like maybe make up artist? or cosmetology? idk about massage therapist though cause i keep thinking well, wouldnt that hurt my hands?? anyways that way ill have more knowledge in that field, but what do you think i should do along with esthetician? Also i was looking into paul mitchell school, the esthetician program is only 4 months if i go full time BUT that means no finanical aid which i need because i cant get 5000 b4 the schooling, yes they said i could pay 900 a month but i mean come on thats rent right there. are there any other schools that provide that program with financial aid within 10 miles of 19044? Also if i become a esthetician and something else in that field would it be a good idea to eventually have my own business out of my home? and until i do that, i guess id be working in a salon or spa or whatever, but would i make decent money there? anything else u wanna mention, advice, other info.... please mention it. its greatly appreciated.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Most estheticians work at a spa or salon, at least part time, even if they also have their own business. And most who work at a spa or salon do it as independent contractors rather than employees, which means they're responsible for their own taxes, health benefits, etc.

The 2011 ISPA US Spa Industry Survey found that 45% of spas provide paid vacation time, 43% provide health benefits, 28% provide a 401k plan, and 24% provide paid sick leave. So even if you end up working at a spa, it usually still means you will have to do a lot of the same things you'd do in your own business.

Think about where you want to live/work, because every state has different licensing requirements for estheticians. So, if you get licensed in the state where you live now, but then decide to move to another state to look for work, you might end up having to do additional training to re-license in the new state.

Massage therapy takes a lot more training to start out, and in most states there are requirements to do continuing education every year, or every second year. It is very physically demanding work and there is definitely a risk that you could hurt your hands if you do it for a long time. But a lot of people find it very rewarding as a career and you can minimize the risk of injury with proper self-care and being conscious of the correct movements. There are lots of therapists who have been doing it for 30+ years and are still working happily.

You can definitely make a living in either skin care or massage therapy but be aware that it probably won't be big bucks. Many massage therapists have another type of job that they do for additional income. For skin care, many people find the most profitable route is to specialize in something, after they get established and can do all the basics. Waxing is one of the most profitable specialties at the moment.

You can find a list of all the skin care schools in the USA and Canada here, http://www.ascpskincare.com/become/ and the same website also has a lot of general information about skin care careers. There's a lot of information about massage therapy careers and schools at http://www.massagetherapy.com. These websites are from ASCP and ABMP, which are the largest professional organizations for estheticians and massage therapists.

Source(s): I work for Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP).
  • viresh
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Esthetician Def

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.