Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 8 years ago

Can I bring my guitar with no case as a carry on, on the airplane?

I don't have a case for it..I was thinking of boxing it up and putting on with my suitcase! but the way tehy throw them around im scared my guitar will get broke.. even if i do box it up really really good. :/

Width: 16

Length: 41

Have you ever seen people bring guitars on as carry ons?

Thanks so much!

Oh and if i bring it in a box with luggage im gonna have to pay and extra 50 bucks.. the guitar i bought was second hand and i only paid 40! plus paying 50 for bringing my guitar and having it back with it broken is gonna suck! :( I dunno what to do. I hope I can bring it on as a carry on!!!

Moving from NS (Canada) to BC (Canada)

Favorite Answer

They should let you, but I can't be completely sure of the regulations in your area. I have brought some large things onto airplanes even internationally, and sometimes they didn't even charge me for it as a carry on. I would call the airport you are departing from to ask for a sure answer.

If you did pack it in a suitcase, I doubt it would break. I've traveled internationally with a lot of fragile items, such as snowglobes, and they stayed intact.

• Toni

Well, I do know that passengers are limited to one luggage bag to carry with them, plus an additional bag (i.e. purse, backpack, etc. etc.) So, it depends on what you take. If it's a guitar case and another luggage bag, you gotta check one of them. But if the bag is small, you're good. Don't fly United, though. They break guitars. : D

• bw022

No.

Carry on items are limited to certain size and weight. Items must fit within a box of 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in) -- wheels and handles included -- and a 10kg (22 lbs) maximum weight limit. There will be a small metal 'box' at each gate which you are required to fit your baggage in. If it won't fit in that, you'll need to check it through.

Regional flights on smaller aircraft (such as Dash-8s) have even smaller limits as they don't have overhead bins.

No. Ship it via secondary carrier, like ups, or just buy another guitar when you relocate, fer cryin out loud!

• Ocelot

you cant take it with you onto the plane they need to place it in the storage area, but it really depends on what airport you choose to go to.