Moving to America...?

So, I live in the uk. I'm 14 years old and ive lived in the same town all my life, with the people I've known pretty much all my life. I might have to move to America (VA, ashburn) in about a year because of my dads job. Nothing is completely certain yet, but it looks like we are probably going to move. I know I would have to go to a high school out there and Im getting worried about it already,lol. I won't know anyone and I was wondering if I would get picked on because of my accent, if people would be rude to me/treat me differently, because of where I'm from. I've never been the knew kid at school so I don't know what it's like. And I've never moved house -let along move to a different country. I'm generally a confident person, i don't like bitchiness/drama, i like to just tell people what i think, but I tend to get shy around people who are really in your face, sometimes. Any idea about what it's like in American high schools and what people might be like?

Thanks:)

• Favorite Answer

Being the new kid is hard especially if your coming from a completely different country with different customs, traditions, etc...

Although UK is pretty similar to America.

But you should not worry just be yourself and you'll be fine. Also I believe that many people will probably be fascinated by you because of your British accent (Americans tend to be fascinated by British accents) and will ask millions of questions about what life is like in the UK

If it helps I have a kid in my Spanish class from Puerto Rico who speaks very little English and many people in my class are fascinated by him. Also be confident and try not to be insecure because being insecure tends to attract bullies.

Well I'm a guy and love british accents (all the girls love guys with british accents too)

Depends on the high school, some are good other are not. It's pretty cool that you've come from the uk so I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in you and your life.

So don't sweat it, you"ll be fine here.

Source(s): highschool

Honey, it doesnt matter who you are or where your from. You can go anywhere in the world and find people who just suck at being nice to anyone. Usually though here in America were used to people from different countries and are exposed to all kinds of accents. Hey look at tbe bright side, you could find someone who is from your side of the world in your school or new town. You shouldnt worry about it, just think of as a new adventure. Good luck by the way and I wish you a safe and happy journey weather you come to America or not.

Source(s): I live in Idaho

well i guarantee you you won't be picked on too much because you accent will fascinate most people and weather your a girl or a guy you will not have a problem dating. however VA is kinda ghetto and backwoods. lol so you will probably be in for a bit of a culture shock. Unless you have a lot of Juggalos where you come from ;)

Source(s): Being American.

people will looove you. A lot of americans are enchanted with british accents or something. LOL. People will probably be all like "OMG i love your accent,, SAY MORE WORDS! ^__^" lol. but maybe a few people will pick on you and unintentionally disgrace the british accent by mimicking it all wrong..

Americans will love you because your British. polls taken in America all way find than Americans love Britten and British people more than any other country in the world.

A passport then you definately get immigration varieties and naturalize and you're able to be responsive to user-friendly American history i think of i'm magnificent yet while i'm not have relaxing doing magnificent and welcome to u.s. chum

you have an accent? :o yeah you'll be fine then lol :p

People will make fun of you :( they will find anything about you that they think is "weird" and use it against you :( that's just the way it is :(

Source(s): Personal experience