How dangerous is travelling to Colombia?

Ok, so I'm thinking about going to Colombia, (cartagena) Here's the catch. I have met a girl through an online dating site who lives near Bogota... We have eachother on facebook and talk everyday (mostly video chat) for the past 7 months. I picked cartagena as a rendezvous spot so we are both out of our comfort zones (clearly me a bit more). She has agreed to meet up there, but now she wants to bring a friend (guy) with her who apparently has a gf in cartagena to feel more safe. He would be staying at a different location, but now the wheels are starting to spin in my head. I hear there is a high rate of kidnappings in Colombia, I couldn't imagine why I would be targeted, i'm just an average Joe. Am I being too paranoid? Where do I draw the line between caution and taking a risk? As a Canadian are we targets? So many questions...Please help!

For the people getting defensive here is a statistic to show you I am not crazy. The reason i'm asking is because I am a foreigner and I don't know about your Country. I wasn't being ignorant, I was ASKING!

Colombia has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world. While Colombians are the primary targets, foreigners can also be targeted in all parts of the country, especially those working for (or perceived to be working for) oil and mining companies. You should be aware that the long-standing policy of the British Government is not to make substantive concessions to hostage takers. The British Government considers that paying ransoms and releasing prisoners increases the risk of further hostage taking.

source: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/...

Favorite Answer

Seriously, Colombia is a great place, I live in Bogota and it's not like you are going to be kidnapped as soon as you step on Colombian soil, if you go to the northern part of the Amazon rain-forest you are probably going to face the guerrillas (drug lords don't kidnap that's stupid), and if you have a bad luck they will kidnap you. Now I advise you something, you might be more scared about people hating you around for looking down upon my country as if we were a deathly jungle full of cocaine and hot prostitutes... Don't come please if you have that stupid attitude toward our country. You will find drug lords if you want too, I've lived for 18 years in this country and I have naver seen cocaine, I've never heard a shot, I've never seen a drug lord and I've never seen a guerrillero, but I do have seen stupid tourists thinking of Colombia as a place to use women a merchandise, etc.

• OC

Hi Jason,

I spent 2 months in Colombia about one year ago and loved it. I went to different places like Bogota, Medellin, Cali, Santa Marta, and Cartagena as well. I would not consider Colombia a really dangerous country. Just apply common sense and you will be ok. Yes, Colombia does have its problems with crime (but so does St. Louis, Detroit, New Orleans, Washington D.C., etc.), however, it has gotten a lot better in recent years. I would not worry about kidnapping because you are not really a prime target unless your family has tons of money and it is known to the public. Even then, they probably wouldn't know in Colombia anyway.

For your information, Cartagena is the safest city in all of Colombia.

I am presently in Brazil and will be in Cartagena from end of March for two months time. I love Cartagena. Maybe I'll see you there.

Have a great trip to Cartagena.

Okay Colombia being the big drug capital of the world was true back in the 80's but now there is more drugs coming from africa, I have researched this, but our country is continously disgraced by hollywood and there ignorance when making movies. If you have already been to ecuador then you should not have any real problem. You must already understand the dangers or visiting a country in South America, and really it is not different from any other country. If you do stupid things, like go trekking in areas where organized criminals are known to be active do not be surprised if bad things happen. But in answer to your question no it is not dangerous at all to visit Colombia, stay in the cities, when travelling around either go by plane or if by car take safe busy routes. The farc are now at the least active they have been our goverment is doing a great job to bring back Colombias good name from before the drug days. We have a very beautiful country and everyone here is so nice espicially when they find out you are a foriegn person. My to favourtie places are Medellin (my city) and Santa Marta.

Where are you going to stay? If you are deciding that and stick to the tourist areas you are probably fine. Kidnappings still occur but not as often as in Mexico or in Brazil. Seems to me that the woman is taking a risk going alone to a strange city to meet a guy she has met over the internet, so she wants a backup if it goes sour. . The media in Colombia has a lot of sotries of women being taken advantage of by foreigners too. Cartagena is not completely safe but it is probably as safe as New Orleans (which is not all that safe).

I was in Cartagena in May and the greates problem is overly agressive souvenir sellers.

Great question... I was on here trying to find out the same thing. I am also interested in traveling to Latin America.

Source(s): curiosity

Not it's too bad as long as you don't **** off any drug loads.