kurme asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 8 years ago

I have a 50mm 1.4G lens and i was wondering?

Why when i take a pic my subjects hand is blurred or part of there body. How do i stop this from happ ening? Do i use a higher aperture instead of 1.4 maybe 2.8or higher. I am just a beginner so please have patience. I want to take classes but there isn't anything good where i live. I thought of an on line course where you get cds to teach you. Would that help? Thanks. Oh and i find it has trouble to autofocus so i have to let go of the button and redo is this known for this lens because if not i need to return it.

Favorite Answer

George provided you with some good insights.

I am trying to understand this line: " it has trouble to autofocus so i have to let go of the button and redo"

I think that means you don't have the 2-step motion down for your shutter button yet. The point is to NOT let go.

You need to lock in the focus, hold the button half way, re-compose your shot, THEN press it all the way.

If you let go, you are starting from scratch.

I could give you a LOT of pointers of how you can learn - if you want some help, email me.

Your Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-G lens is doing exactly what hundreds of people are asking for here on Yahoo! Answers. You're getting the bokeh everyone's looking for, where the area that's in focus is very shallow and everything behind and before it is out of focus.

The solution is based on a simple photographic principle. Just adjust the aperture down to f/2.8 or smaller, and you'll have more depth of field (more area in focus).

For best control, shoot in A (aperture priority) mode. Try taking several different shots of the same subject at f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/3.0, & f/3.5 (or so) and see the difference. For a huge difference, shoot at f/16 or f/22.

Source(s): 50 years behind the lens
  • rick

George Y gave you perfect advice. You just need to understand photography a little more. You have a great lens.