Would you capitialize the word 'Divine' when refering to God?

In Christianity, when you write, 'He' or 'Him' and referring to God, the first letter is capitalized. If you are referring to God and writing the word Divine, for example, "The Divine loves humankind," does the 'D' get capitalized? I'm looking at this from a theological perspective and not a secular. Thanks.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In the way that you use "divine", the answer is: yes, it should be capitalized. The word is being used as an identifying title in that instance, and should be capitalized in that case regardless of religious belief.

For the very same reason that you would capitalize "the President", you should capitalize "the Divine" when using it in that manner.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

P.S. I am forced to disagree with PROBLEM (whose answers are normally right on): if you are using "divine" as an adjective specific to the quality of the Judaeo-Christian God, then it is appropriate to capitalize it (but not necessary). For instance, one can write:

"Jesus is Divine"

which indicates that Jesus is [Judeo-Christian] Godly - as opposed to "Jesus is divine" - which can have a wide array of lesser meanings.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I capitalize Divine when referencing any Deity, not just the Christian one. To me, it is a show of respect for all religions. Plus, I tend to believe that all gods and goddesses are simply aspects of the same Divine life force.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Occasionally, especially when writing formally. I only tend to captialize "God" on the web, not pronouns that refer to him. If I am not capping the beginning of my sentences (which is less than frequently) I may use lower case on God's name as well. I don't do it to taunt people. Just when I'm in a hurry.

I am fine with spelling out the name of God even though I respect people who hold that it should not be spoken aloud. I don't hold to changing the tetragrammaton to Lord unnecessarily or spelling God as G-d.

I respect those who disagree about that, though.

• 9 years ago

If you are using the word in place of a name. ie Oh great Divine. If you are just talking about the quality ..no. ie: That cake is divine. or To be a Christian you must accept the divinity of Jesus.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Unless the word is used as a proper noun, no need to capitalize. Hope that helps.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Anything with a name, city, state, country, or out of respect, should be capitalized.

• Jo Ann
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Yes you do. Respect for god. JO Ann

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

anything that represents God you can capitalize.

• 9 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't even capitalise god.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Since it's a name, yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.