Home-made pasta - what am I doing wrong?

I've been practising a recipe for home-made recipe for ravioli and the pasta, quite possibly, unless it's just me, never seems to come out right. Instead of being soft (if it's supposed too) it's got a hard chew to it, not too hard that you can't eat it, but just not as soft as I had hoped for. What am I doing wrong? My recipe makes one pound of pasta in total. It calls for 2 cups unbleached flour, 3 large eggs and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then it tells me to mix the egg without disturbing it, then encorporating the flour to the eggs and blend it together with your fingertips. Right after that it asks us to knead the dough like we would with bread, for approx. 7 minutes and then let it sit under a cloth in round balls. (generally 2 balls, and I put mine under a damp cloth) for 15 minutes. Then I roll it out flat till I think it's flat enough, cut the dough and put enough filling inside the dough. After that, I take an equal piece sized square of dough and cover that, pressing down the sides and cutting any excess off. After all that is done, I cook the pasta in boiling water and take them out when they start to float. After that, it's supposedly cooked. I really need help with this, what am I doing wrong, what's the right way to do it? Help!!!! D:

Unfortunately I do not have Semolina flour, and I've already sent in my recipe as is. I'll have to work with the recipe I've sent in or else I'll be lying/cheating :/

Best Answer

I've tried unbleached flour before, and it doesn't give me as good results as using semolina flour. I've never heard of "knead for x amount of minutes." You want the pasta to be a little grainy, but well mixed. Don't let it sit under a cloth..etc. You're not making pizza dough, you don't need to let it proof. You do, however need to let it rest refrigerated.

I've used this recipe (it's by feel..but should be close) in restaurants for years and it comes out great. The mix for 1lb of pasta would be 3 eggs, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt to 8 ounces (BY WEIGHT, not in a measuring cup) of semolina flour.

Make a pile with the flour on a table and make a hole in the middle.. like a volcano. Crack the eggs into the center and begin to swirl the flour in with two fingers. When it begins to get a little sticky, add the salt and olive oil. Continue to mix until mixed, but grainy. If you have a stand mixer, it'll be easier (use a dough hook, not a whisk or paddle) but you can do it by hand too. Put it in a mixing bowl, and refrigerate it for a few hours to let rest.

If the dough is goopy or sticky when you're done mixing, add a little bit of flour at a time until it's nice and grainy.

It helps if you have a pasta press, but if you want to do it by hand lightly flour your counter top, and roll out the dough. Try to get it as thin as possible (about 1/8 inch), fold it over, reroll it about 5-10 times. This'll help it develop it's elasticity. After that, cut it and make your stuffed (assuming ravioli). The easiest way to do raviolis is to have two equal sized rectangle sheets, space the filing out on one of them, cover with the other, press down and cut.

You're spot on on the cook until it floats pretty much. There's no time for it, as variables such as filing type, pasta density and thickness change it.

Source(s): Professional chef all my life..
  • Texas

cooking the pasta longer should be what is needed to make sure the pasta is softer.

I would say to actually time it rather than "take them out when they start to float", and I will guess it should be around 8-10 minutes.

I think you may be overworking the pasta when you roll it out. Why don't you try wonton wrappers instead? They're a great substitute and you can put all the effort into the filling.

Only use 2 eggs. Try to roll out a little thinner also.

I guess only problem is that you are not giving it enough time. Increase the time duration especially under the damp cloth. Also give them proper time once they start floating.