Anonymous

Environmental Careers-high school student ?

I am a high school student doing research into a variety of environmental careers. I know for sure that I want to have a career that falls under environmental studies, but there are many areas to it. I have defined my choices to either having a career in environmental law, a environmental engineer, or an environmental scientist. With all the research I have done, I am still unable to decide, as most sites just describe the career. What I need is some input; what would you recommend for a high school student that is passionate about the environment, but wants to have a successful career (meaning that I can have a high-paying job)? I would really, actually EXTREMELY appreciate if anybody who has taken these paths through university to state their opinion about their programs. And please be honest. Thank you. :)

Best Answer

environmental law does NOT pay well and law school is extremely difficult. Plus nobody likes lawyers and the law is difficult. Lawyers have it tough. I would say no to enviromental law.

To me enviromental science is like figuring out what the world can do and enviromental engineering is about taking action! I would go with enviromental engineering. Overall, the top ten percent of environmental engineers have an average income in excess of $115,750 per year. The bottom ten percent of environment engineers have an average income of $47,660 per year and the middle ten percent have a median salary of $77,040 per year. The average salary for environmental science jobs is $55,000. So you do the math.

Enviromental engineering all the way!!