Can a british citizen who was born in Britain (aged 16) be forced to live in another country by their parents?

I've got a friend that is really worried her parents will force her to live in Lebanon. She believes that if she went to Lebanon she couldn't come back to Britain. Both of her parents are from Lebanon but she was born in England which I think makes her 100% a British citizen? She has also lived her whole life in England.

So firstly could she be forced to leave the country against her will bearing in mind it's her parents taking her and she's 16.

And secondly if she did go to Lebanon would she be able to come back and just live in Britain without having to technically immigrate because she's a British citizen?

10 Answers

  • Me
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    If either of her parents is a British citizen when she was born, or held ILR when she was born, then she is a British citizen.

    Otherwise just being born in the UK does not make one a citizen.

    IF she is a citizen, she can move out, leave home at age 16. Many people on her confuse US age of majority laws, with the UK laws. They are not the same.

    If she is not a UK citizen, but here on a dependent visa, or worse illegally, then she has to do as her parents tell her.

  • Nik
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    At the age of 16 a teenager can own his or her own property. However there is the wait for that property.

    If the girl has no backing int he UK logic would dictate to go for now and come back when she can support herself. And moving abroad does not lose her British citizenship

  • 8 years ago

    Birth in the UK doesn't make someone a British citizen, one or both parents must be either British citizens or in possession of Indefinite Leave to Remain at the time of the child's birth

    Does your friend even know what her immigration status in the UK is?

  • Yorrik
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    No - your friend can simply leave home at age 16 and go and live anywhere she likes.

    Check this link for further details - one small point, your friend cannot hold a tenancy on a property until age 18. However, there is nothing stopping her sharing with a trusted friend.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

    Britain is not the US (no citizenship per birth there).

    So if here parents didn´t have british citizenship on the day of her birth she is NOT

    a british citizen anyway.

  • Jan409
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    The only thing she can do is move in with other family members here in the UK

    she can't provide for herself at 16, so unless she has other family here she doesn't have a choice

    Source(s): UK
  • Les
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

    Unfortunately until she turns 18 she is a child in the eyes of the law.

    If she was born in the UK she has British citizenship. If her parents are from a different country she will be able to claim dual nationality and have 2 passports, 1 from the UK and 1 from the Lebannon. When she turns 18 she can make her own choice and move back to the UK anytime as long as she keeps her dual citizenship.

    These sites explain home office policy in full.

    Checking these to see if the Lebannon allows dual nationality is the best way to go

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    She would have dual citizenship, which means she's a citizen of both countries.

    And yes she would feasibly be able to come back anytime she had the money herself to.

    Ask at a citizens advice bureau

    Source(s): British citizen.
  • 8 years ago

    No. You have the right to leave home if you are 16.

  • 8 years ago

    yes, a minor child can be re-located with her parents even without her consent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.