Are there apartments like this in New York?

Hi there,

I can't get that episode of X-Files out of my mind. Mulder was living in a one-bedroom-apartment in New York at that time, I guess to investigate something. (It was not his "real" home.) And there was this grille that connected his room to the room next door. It was a metal grille, about 5 by 20 cm, and you could see the light in the next room. You could also look through, and the neighbor's smoke came through. Of course you could also hear every word.

And I'd like to know: Are there really any rooms like this in New York? Or did they invent it?

• MadMan
    Favorite Answer

They invented it.

• Kini

As far as I knew, they lived in Washington D.C. The grill was probably a heating vent. They always show nicer apartments on TV than in real life. If you watch Law and Order this is very funny. A beautiful large apartment with smooth white walls and a living room, and hallway, and several bedrooms for someone with a low paying job. They never show how bad apartments really look if you dont have a lot of money.

• ?

Yes if a building has Forced Hot Air Heat it is delivered through vents.