Would you consider what happened to Native Americans to be genocide?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

for those who insist the genocide was an accident or didn't exist..read and learn something: the genocide was intentional.

Adopted by Resolution 260 (III) A of the United Nations General Assembly on 9 December 1948.

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/genocide.html

Article 2

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

 (a) Killing members of the group;

(the many massacres and campaigns aimed at killing native americans regardless of age or gender is well documented. Nothing more needs to be said here.)

 (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

(the conditions imposed on native people on reservations was designed to cause them harm. Studies have also shown that the stereotype in the dominant culture and the portrayal of native people as war like, drunk, and lazy, also affects native children and how they see themselves.)

 (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

(the reservation system was designed to “contain” native people so they could be destroyed more efficiently. Starvation was one tactic and biological warfare another. today the governments allows toxic waste from nuclear plants and mining operations to be dumped on native reservations. many reservation in usa and canada do not have drinking water because of this contamination and the birth defects and cancer rates are the highest in the country.)

 (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(up until the late 1980s, native women were sterilized as a matter of policy by IHS doctors. These sterilizations were done without their consent and in many cases against the women’s will.)

 (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

(native children were taken by force from their families and sent to residential schools often hundreds of miles from home. There they were trained to be “white” and in many cases were sexually and physically abused. Over 50,000 children between the ages of 3 and 15 were killed in these institutions in canada alone and similar numbers in usa. many of these schools remained open into the 1990s and survivors of them are still alive. Until 1973, native children in usa were also removed from their mothers as infants and adopted out to white families as an attempt to assimilate native people into white society.)

Source(s): mohawk
  • 9 years ago

It was at least attempted genocide. There were many people who systematically worked together to try to kill off as many Native Americans as they could.

Now, some of the deaths were not intended, as someone else brought up the fact that the Native Americans didn't have immunity against many European diseases, but these deaths were seen as an advantage by those who wanted to exterminate the Native Americans.

• 9 years ago

During the western migration of the population from the east coast to the west coast and at various locations along the way the United States of America encountered Native Americans, some of which were hostile to them and and in retaliation the U.S. Army Calvary were called upon at the start to exterminate the Native American population. Later the Native Americans were forced from their lands and placed on reservations where many died because the new reservations were far from their normal habitat and they couldn't hunt, fish and gather grains such as corn as they used to and sustain their way of life. The wanton killing and relocation of the Native Americans to the reservations where there were deaths of the Native American population is considered to be genocide and the U.S. has never taken responsibility for the wanton killing of the Native Americans during this time in history. This type of military action would be considered a "Crime Against Humanity" and in the present time those responsible would be prosecuted and found guilty by the International Criminal Court at the Hague in the Netherlands. The same happened to the black population during the time of the Ku Klux Klan who took the blacks from their homes and hung them by a tree in the woods. This was common practice at the time and was accepted by the lords of the manor in the South especially who had slaves and wanted to keep their slaves in line and under their control. This too is genocide and as in the case of the Native Americans the U.S. hasn't taken responsibility for this crime against humanity. I wish to inform everyone there is a "Crime Against Humanity" being committed by the United States of America at this time. The "Crime Against Humanity" began when George W. Bush declared war on Iraq based on false intelligence information regarding the presence of weapons of mass destruction that has escalated into war in Afghanistan and the war against terrorism. George W. Bush should be charged with "Crimes Against Humanity" and brought before the International Criminal Court at the Hague to stand trial. This will not happen because it would cause civil unrest in modern society all over the world, and the leaders of other nations don't want civil unrest. When will the leaders of nations ever learn to let ancient customs and cultures live as they want and tolerate them living and working alongside modern society? This is intolerance and there is no excuse for intolerance in the modern world.

Source(s): My source is my brother who is a professor at Harvard University in International Law, Health and Human Rights, and United Nations Studies and I am retired and as a hobby I read and write of what I read and by doing so I keep my mind active. Yes, it is we who can make a difference and I will never stop trying to make a difference and help make this world a better place for all of mankind. That is my legacy and that of my brother.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, a great example of the entire definition of genocide.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

have you ever heard the asserting "Kill the Indian yet save the guy"? interior of reach human beings werent seen human in any respect. Killing an Indian replace into no longer something so it wasnt evaluate genocide only meant "out of sight and out of strategies" an eye fixed sore! there have been motives and strategies to deplete the Natives yet they're nonetheless surviving. via the way, good ole Bush has tried, he decrease funds on well-being, denied acceptance of a few interior of reach American tribes so they wouldnt be federally acknowledged tribes...its nonetheless on going. The buffalos have been only killed for their fur, take the fur and left the maintains to be to rot. Buffalo fur replace into the marketplace on the time. They very almost went into instinction.

• 9 years ago

In 1864, my nation was rounded up off our reservation, where we'd been living peacefully, so that our reservation could be searched for gold. (none was found) We were placed in a concentration camp in the middle of the desert without food, water or shelter. During the 5 years we spent in captivity, one out of every three persons (that's one third of the entire nation) died of starvation. Is that Genocide?

YES.

Source(s): Navajo
  • molly
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes and same with the Australian Aboriginal just because they didn't manage to wipe them out it doesn't mean they didn't try.

Hitler committed genocide against the Jewish people and a lots of them survived.

• 9 years ago

Yes and no. While there was a concerted effort to kill them (which is genocide) a hell of a lot of them simply died from disease (estimates as high as 90% of Native Americans in coastal regions died from disease before Europeans even had a chance to decide they wanted to try killing them all) which is one of the reasons the land was so easy to settle (unlike, say, China or India). After the diseases ran their courses (and the whole small pox blankets thing) it could easily be considered genocide.

• 9 years ago

Yes. It was genocide.

• 9 years ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.