Conversion of energy question?

I have a physics lab to do and don't really know how to go about finding the equations I need, unfortunately my book is of no help on this topic.

The assignment is to drop a ball, measure it's bounce and do some calculations based on the data. I've got a great set of data, but now I'm at a loss. I need to calculate:

-What fraction of the initial energy was transformed into thermal energy?

-What fraction was retrieved as gravitational energy?

This is my guess, please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I dropped a ball, and it's bounce was 55% of the drop height, then 45% of it's initial energy was converted into thermal energy? Is that the right idea?

I honestly don't even understand the 2nd part of the question. Any guesses?

Favorite Answer

"if I dropped a ball, and it's bounce was 55% of the drop height, then 45% of it's initial energy was converted into thermal energy? Is that the right idea?"

That is precisely the right idea.

As for the second part of the question, if "it's bounce was 55% of the drop height", then 55% of the initial energy was recovered as gravitational energy.