Regional Jets vs. Wide-body Airplanes?

Would it be easier to fly a RJ (CRJ-705,CRJ-200) or a narrow or wide body plane (A320, B777.) I want to be a pilot so I was just wondering about this.

Best Answer

The "size" of an airplane has nothing to do with ease or difficulty to fly it -

I have flown quite a few different jet airplanes - airliners etc.

To my opinion, the easiest to fly was the 747 -

And the most difficult to handle properly, was the... little Learjet 23/24 or 25...! -

When I was a check-pilot with new 747 pilots, my only concern was their taxiing -

It is a very large airplane, and requires pilots to taxi on "centerline" -

First officers can taxi a 747 (there is a tiller on the RH side too) -

Once the airplane is on the runway, the 747 is like any other airplane -

The hardest thing to do with a 747 is a "u-turn" on a regular runway -

This requires at least 153 feet wide runway - 46 metres -

The pilots who "boast" their aptitude to be a super-ace-jumbo-captain are idiots -

I personally respect pilots who fly "by the numbers" and observe "proper procedures" -

.

Source(s): Retired pilot

As a pilot you usually start with planes such as the regional jets. Later you could move up in the ranks. The more the plane weighs the more you get payed as a general rule of thumb. It does not matter the size. The plane type matters more, for a 777 and 767, both Boeing wide bodies fly very differently.

Regional requires a lot more interaction with ATC. You're continually in and out of controlled airspace with several takeoffs and landings in your duty day. Wide Body, you're flying the routes. A lot more calm time. Virtually set and forget.

Not much difference anymore. Everything is computer controlled so it's like a large computer game. The size of the aircraft has ceased to be relevant. Taxying on the ground is a whole new ballgame.

You know what guy? When you're sitting up front they all seem the same. Just instruments and controls in front of you and a windshield. Like the other gentleman said, you must while taxiing always beware of where your wingtips are.

Source(s): Retired airlione pilot, instructor and examiner