Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

AS asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

Chemistry question (SATP)?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this question? I'm confused with "standard atmospheric condition:.

What would the volume of air inside a 35.0 L tire under 244 KPa of pressure occupy if it escaped to standard atmospheric conditions?

Thank

T.Ken

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

STP (Standard temperature and pressure) is IUPAC defined to be 0°C and 100 kPa

SATP is standard ambient temperature and pressure, commonly used in Europe (I am not familiar with what they use in Asia?) and is 25°C and 100 kPa.

=+=+=+=

PV/(nT) = R. So, given any 3 of the 4 variables you can solve for the fourth. This is frelling grade school stuff !!! Grade school.

Note be sure your units are correct. Note that despite temperature being specified for SATP in Celsius, you must use Kelvin (or Rankin) for ideal gas law problems. Be sure to use the same units for R as for the variables. BTW, SATP is not, as far as I am aware, "officially" defined; check locally for the local definition, if in doubt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.