AS asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 9 years ago

Chemistry question (SATP)?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this question? I'm confused with "standard atmospheric condition:.

What would the volume of air inside a 35.0 L tire under 244 KPa of pressure occupy if it escaped to standard atmospheric conditions?

Thank

T.Ken

Favorite Answer

STP (Standard temperature and pressure) is IUPAC defined to be 0°C and 100 kPa

SATP is standard ambient temperature and pressure, commonly used in Europe (I am not familiar with what they use in Asia?) and is 25°C and 100 kPa.

=+=+=+=

PV/(nT) = R. So, given any 3 of the 4 variables you can solve for the fourth. This is frelling grade school stuff !!! Grade school.

Note be sure your units are correct. Note that despite temperature being specified for SATP in Celsius, you must use Kelvin (or Rankin) for ideal gas law problems. Be sure to use the same units for R as for the variables. BTW, SATP is not, as far as I am aware, "officially" defined; check locally for the local definition, if in doubt.