How many people can afford private officer training "Westpoint" Isn't the US just another class driven army?

Cadet Finances

West Point is tuition free to all cadets. In addition, all cadets receive a monthly stipend of approximately $10,000 a year.

Cadets are expected to pay a fee upon admission to the Academy. This $2000 is not only a commitment to attend, but will be used to defray the costs of uniforms, books, and a computer - essential items for every cadet.

Cadets are responsible for earned income and tax filing. Further information is available at http://www.westpoint.edu/Dcomm/wppc.asp

gaulish

Can you afford the entrance fee -- How many can -- How is it not a class driven economic exclusionary system of economic control ?

Best Answer

Wait, so cadets receive a stipend much greater than their fee--umm... your question doesn't make much sense.

$2000 entrance fee, soon offset by a stipend, as opposed to $10-15 thousand annual tuition for an in-state public college? $30-40 thousand for a private college? (This is not including boarding, books, etc.) Look at it in context. Most military officers in the US don't come from a very wealthy background, moreover.

And $2000 isn't really that much. Yes, I can afford that. If somehow that bill came due after a major expense, such as a car repair, then it's something that, with some scrimping, I'd be able to save in a couple of month's time.

• WallyZ

Westpoint trains cadets for the US Army. It doesn't have a private program as far as I can tell. z

jeez christ trout,a big screen tv set,owned by millions,(they now can be had for 200 bucks in second hand stores,when they get to 50 bucks,I will go kicking and screaming into my local jewish 2nd hnd store &

buy one)

,2 thou for an education that UCLA would never provide, but charge 50-80k$,

is a pee in lake superior.

were I 20 years younger,I'd try it out

a poor kid in brooklyn nyc trout,or in los angeles's east side can ask a local congressman for a ltr of recommendation to the WP commander,these guys often pass the hat for the kid