Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 years ago

Can my mother put me on her insurance if the car is in my name and I no longer live at home?

So I moved out about 6 months ago and I want to buy a new car. Im in the canadian military so I can apply for that discount. Insurance, as with every new driver, is going to kill me. I was curious if my mother would be able to put me under her insurance again ( I was under her for under a year when I was living at home and borrowing her car) even if my address is no longer the same as hers? Also, if it is possible, how would I go about doing that? Would I have to put the car under her name? (its financed) and is it too late to put it under her name since I signed the papers with the dealer today. Any help woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh also, I live in toronto.

• lucy
    Favorite Answer

OOPS, you could have some problems here. Car insurance is based where the car is "garaged" and if it is at the military address vs your mother's, could be a problem, and is considered fraud. Also, it is based on your driving history of any accidents/tickets while under your moms prior policy.

You might want to talk to either Geico or USAA, since they both insure military vehicles and due to servicemen being shipped to other countries, know how to handle. Am not sure if they insure in Canada, but only they can tell you.

You need the proper coverage and if you "lie" on your application, in effect, you would be driving uninsured and in an accident, could be held liable.

Either way, talk to those 2 companies and/or a insurance agent and explain your circumstances.

good luck

• Gambit

If you're posted somewhere that's in the same province as your mom, then you should be able to as long as the vehicle is registered in your mom's name and she informs the insurance company of the address where the vehicle is going to be garaged. If you're posted to a different province (permanent posting that requires a move, not a temp posting) then the vehicle will have to be registered in the new province, so unless she's planning on moving with you then it's not going to be possible.

Source(s): Ontario broker

Looking 4 auto insurance companies? one of the top to get best auto insurance company, rates and prices is: http://www.cheapinsurance4auto.info

You can easily compare quotes from 20+ cheapest insurance companies in USA for example at: DISCOUNTAUTOINSURANCE1.COM